IE 7 Quirk Mode

Liquid Fire

I am build a Web application and I don't plan on supporting IE6 at all (I dill development and test in IE7/8 and then when I am done I will look to se how much work to get it to work in IE 6) however I have a question about how IE 7 Quirks mode works.  One thing I am using the IE7 supports and IE6 does not is the :first-child css selector.  However this only works in IE7 Standard mode not is IE7 Quirks modes.  My first question is what forces IE7 into quirks mode?  The second question is, is there a way to force IE7 to always veiw my pages in standard block?

For the most part, quirks mode will only be activated if you do not specify a DOCTYPE or specify an invalid one. If you always give a valid one then you don't have to worry (except if you for peculiar reasons would like to use HTML 3.2).

The second question is, is there a way to force IE7 to always veiw my pages in standard block?

I suppose you mean the box model. It's not really possible because it's simply IE that's doing it wrong though. Using a reset stylesheet, and perhaps using ie7-js, helps a lot though.

For the most part, quirks mode will only be activated if you do not specify a DOCTYPE or specify an invalid one. If you always give a valid one then you don't have to worry (except if you for peculiar reasons would like to use HTML 3.2).

The second question is, is there a way to force IE7 to always veiw my pages in standard block?

I suppose you mean the box model. It's not really possible because it's simply IE that's doing it wrong though. Using a reset stylesheet, and perhaps using ie7-js, helps a lot though.

Sorry I actually meant for IE7 into standards mode vs Quirks mode but you answered that question.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.