[SOLVED] For each help

Mr Chris

Hello,

I have a form where I upload each image on a page, and using a foreach loop upload the image name of the file to my database.

Now, i've modified the code below and with each image I also want to upload a picture reference (ref) to my database for each pic uploaded.  How can I also get this in my foreach loop?

Many Thanks

<?php 
if (isset($_POST['Submit'])) 
{ 
// set the image details and upload the file
foreach ($_FILES['ufile']['name'] as $key => $val) {

move_uploaded_file ($_FILES['ufile']['tmp_name'][$key], $picture);

// and insert into the database 
   $result = mysql_query("Insert into images (picture, ref) values('". basename($picture) ."', '$ref')") or die(mysql_error());
}

} 
?> 
<form action="" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="myform" id="myform"> 
<?php 
$number = $_GET['num']; 
for($i = 0; $i <= $number; $i++) 
{ 
echo " 
<p>Upload Image (".$i."):<input name=\"ufile[]\" style=\"width:300px;\" type=\"file\" id=\"ufile[]\" /></p> 
<p>Ref: <input name=\"ref[]\" class=\"big\" type=\"text\" id=\"ref[]\" style=\"width: 300px\"/></p>\n";
} 
?> 
</form>

when you are looking to do multiple inserts into a database its best to do it in one query rather than running lots of queries in a loop - not very efficient.

this code here

<?php

$result = mysql_query("Insert into images (picture, ref) values('". basename($picture) ."', '$ref')") or die(mysql_error());
}
?>

1st off I don't see $picture changing on each loop which would mean you overwrite your image all the time..

ok the query..

<?php
$qry = NULL;

$qry .= "Insert into images (picture, ref) values('". basename($picture) ."', '$ref'),";
}
$qry = substr($qry,0,strlen($qry) -1); // remove last comma.
$result = mysql_query($qry) or die(mysql_error());
?>

now like I said - each time you run through this loop you are NOT updating $picture so your database records wont be what you expect and each file you upload will overwrite the previous file..

revisit that part and all should be well.

the qry I did above is just to help you improve performance and save your server some hassel.

That's but the code above is a snippett, not the full code.  Should have been more specific on that, sorry.  Each pic is uploaded and renamed without being overwritten.

The code above uploads each individual image for the picture, but not for each reference  associated with the picture as well.

I know in this line of the foreach:

Its saying for each uploaded picture, but I need it to say for each uploaded picture and gallery reference?

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.