Warning: No xauth data.

trq

Im trying to forward an xfce4 session from one of my openvz nodes via ssh following this guide and using the following command.

xinit -e ssh -XCc blowfish thorpe@desk.local "/usr/bin/xfce4-session &" -- :1 & disown

This is working almost prefectly excepting that I am recieving the following error.

Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

Ive searched around and apparently this error is harmless and safe to ignore if everything seems to be working (which it almost is).

My problem is that this error actually appears within an xterm within my new xfce4 session. If I close this xterm, the entire session is aborted.

Any ideas how I can a) git rid of this error altogether or b) have it go to a log or somewhere else besides an xterm within xfce4?

I have tried variations on...

xinit -e ssh -XCc blowfish thorpe@desk.local "/usr/bin/xfce4-session &>/dev/null &" -- :1 & disown

without any success.

Ok, Ive made a little bit of progress and have been able to remove the error by passing my auth cookie to the remote machine using...

$ xauth nlist "${HOSTNAME}/unix:10" | rsh desk.local xauth nmerge -

However, the xterm is still popping up (this time blank, no curser or anything) and if I close this xterm the session still terminates.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.