[SOLVED] Complete noob question - extract middle of filename

richrock

Right, today has been my first day of doing some coding using regex, and boy am I stumped :D

I've got a script to read a image folder, and need to extract parts of the filename in order to display information dynamically.  The images are set with a particular naming convention:

my real name_location-year-imagecode.jpg : I can get the name, year and image code, but for some reason I just don't know enough to get teh location.  It's got an underscore to the left and hyphen to the right, so how would I get it?

I was thinking along the lines of this

$regex = preg_match('/([^_.$/-])/', $filename);
		echo $regex;

Which obviously doesn't work, as this is rather hard, and I'm very tired :(  Id like it to have something like:

$regex = preg_match('/([_wildcardlocation-])/', $filename);

Thanks if you can help :D

Given the format:

my real name_location-year-imagecode.jpg

(read - assuming the underscore is the only character within this which separates the real name from the location, and the dash is the only characters which separates the location from the year and the imagecode)... one could use preg_split:

$str = 'my real name_location-year-imagecode.jpg';
$arr = preg_split('#[_-]#', $str);
echo "<pre>".print_r($arr, true);

Output:

Array
(
    [0] => my real name
    [1] => location
    [2] => year
    [3] => imagecode.jpg
)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.