Do you find Freelancing to be worthwhile work?

freelancef2

Do you feel that, freelance work is worthwhile works to you? How do you take freelance work as part time or fulltime? Do you need to be an expert on some particular work which you are going to do? As monetarily, do you find it satisfying and fulfilling?

As far as me, I feel my own boss and I do give values to my work, I feel that I should be at least an expert for the job which I am going to do, because someone is investing his/her money for that job, so honest work is important. As monetarily its quite rewarding, I know how much I can earn and can set my expenses through that.

How do you take my Questions as? I will love to hear your opinions…

I enjoy doing freelance work on the side, but not as a main source of income. Not enough stability for me. 

And btw, being a freelancer does not mean being your own boss.  You just have more control over what you will/won't do, but at the end of the day, the client is the boss.

I enjoy doing freelance work on the side, but not as a main source of income. Not enough stability for me. 

And btw, being a freelancer does not mean being your own boss.  You just have more control over what you will/won't do, but at the end of the day, the client is the boss.

Unless you can get to the point that you are highly sought after and can just turn people down that piss you off. That would be a nice luxury! I'm pretty much in the same boat, I freelance on the side primarily because there just isn't enough work to come close to paying any real bills. I wouldn't mind someday running my own computer shop and building websites in my downtime.

If you're highly sought after, then it's more than likely because of word-of-mouth.  So if you tell someone to piss off, that may have farther reaching repercussions than you intend. Quickly lose your references and "highly sought after" status. 

You aren't exactly providing a service that someone else can't duplicate. Not like being an artist or designer or something.  Your value is in being able to pump out some decent code in a decent amount of time and being likable in the process.  I mean really, the ultimate goal of a freelancer is to have steady work within a pool of reoccurring clients.  Less clients the better (just less to keep track of).  That sure does sound awfully similar to having a full time regular job... except you have to pay self-employment taxes and you don't get any company benefits like paid vacation, medical, etc...

I have a full time job so I don't depend upon the money brought in from freelancing work, so I enjoy the work a lot more. I don't make a massive amount of it right now to be honest but it's good experience in other areas, such as working to dead lines, building client relations, etc. And obviously it's something for the portfolio... I definitely find it worth while.

Adam

If you're highly sought after, then it's more than likely because of word-of-mouth.  So if you tell someone to piss off, that may have farther reaching repercussions than you intend. Quickly lose your references and "highly sought after" status. 

You aren't exactly providing a service that someone else can't duplicate. Not like being an artist or designer or something.  Your value is in being able to pump out some decent code in a decent amount of time and being likable in the process.  I mean really, the ultimate goal of a freelancer is to have steady work within a pool of reoccurring clients.  Less clients the better (just less to keep track of).  That sure does sound awfully similar to having a full time regular job... except you have to pay self-employment taxes and you don't get any company benefits like paid vacation, medical, etc...

Good points.  You can make the reference to clients being like your boss, but there is certainly a difference.  I personally hate my boss and can't say I hate any of my clients because they are paying you for your work whereas a boss usually just expects more for less. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.