Which is best Asp.net, Php, Sharepoint?

df3728

Hey guys, yesterday I talked with one web programmer on web development he suggested me three unique programs for my website, 1. Asp.net  2. Php  3. Sharepoint

Well I am new and I don’t have any ideas, I just asked him what will be the best platform to use for my properties site, as I told him that I need to handle lots more database, he suggested me to opt for asp.net, he feels mysql is not much safe and not efficient to handle such huge database

I wana know from this community which in these three will be best, or is there anything new? I need your valuable suggestion..

Well, since you're asking on a php forum, I think most people are going to say php is the best :P

I've never tried ASP myself, so I can't comment on it. However, I can say that I think php is awesome.

The syntax is cool, simple, but similiar to C++, which many people have learned before using PHP (or the other way round, either way it's useful to know one before the other).

Besides, ASP is made by Micrsoft, so it probably sucks.

And MySQL is fine for handling huge databases. It may not be as reliable/fast as databases such as Oracle or SQLite, but feature and user-friendliness wise it's the best in my opinion.

It may not be as reliable/fast as databases such as Oracle or SQLite

jackpf: I strongly suggest, that you check what SQLite actually is ;)

And as to MySQL's scalability... if you there will only be one programmer working on the project, I really doubt it will be over what MySQL can handle :P

Just take a look at case studies here:

http://mysql.com/why-mysql/case-studies/

Will your app be bigger then these?

Why would he suggest Sharepoint?  What are your requirements.  We can't really give you an informed opinion about the suitability of a solution without those. 

While I have known developers who are relatively nimble in regards to their use of a web development platform, most developers focus on a particular set of tools, and have a preference.  At the end of the day, if you are comfortable with a particular developer, you are best off going with what that developer has the most expertise with.

Usually, people use asp.net because they are most comfortable in a microsoft environment, running windows servers.  If that sounds like you, then asp and ms sql server is the way to go.

If you're not looking for that, then there are cost advantages to going with a LAMP plaform.  Obviously, those of us here on phpfreaks are biased towards Lamp.  ;D

It is a flat file database... in this you were not wrong :P

The advantage of SQLite is that it has very low resource requirements. This makes it ideal for embedded applications (check your Firefox folders and you will find several sqlite databases) :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.