Restarting services when they stop

wiggst3r

Hi

I'm running a Ubuntu webserver, which has several services running.

As the server is quite well used and has several sites hosted on it, I was wondering If anyone could help me with some code/script that will restart any service that goes down or stops.

I'm looking to restart the following, If they ever stop:

Apache

Mongrel

MySQL

Postfix

I'm sure there could be an init script that could be run and will restart any of these services If they ever stop.

Thanks

You could write a script that checks if it's running, and if not then start it. Then add a cron entry to run it at a certain interval.

So, on my Gentoo VPS, if I might do something like this:

degeberg ~ # /etc/init.d/apache2 status

So that tells me that Apache is running. If it hadn't returned that then I could execute /etc/init.d/apache2 start to start Apache. Do that for all of your services, make a script out of it and use cron to routinely run it. This can of course not be used to check if your cron daemon is down, but I don't think you can guard against that without having an external server check that.

Well I use Xen, a lot. So much so, I have all my services broken out amongst 3 vm's. Dom0 (running solid and very capable on 128mb of ram) can then monitor to see if a domU has OOM'd etc. destroy the vm and create a new vm instance.

Of course there is a lot of setting up in that.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.