Taking copyright too far...

nrg_alpha

I was just over at sitepoint.com and read this article.

In it, there is a link to this page where the choice of font was what initially caught the author's eye. What he found about about the text was absolutely crazy..

The insane scientists at MISAustralia appear to have built a content management system that automatically shuffles each paragraph into two piles, letter by letter.

Each pile is then dumped its own DIV and padded out with non-breaking spaces, before they are precisely overlayed with each other to make them readable again.

Of course, this means copy-and-pasting the text ONLY touches the uppermost DIV, and explains both the zebra patterning and their choice of mono-spaced font.

lol Is the text in that misaustralia.com article so precious as to prevent your layman copy-and-pasting? This is the first I see of something like that.. I mean, who in hell would want to go through that trouble to try and protect something of so little value?

Even with issues regarding SEO and assistive technologies aside, it just boggles my mind that they try to protect copy like that. What's so special about some guy ranting about Twitter? Why would they feel the need to prevent copy and pasting or screen scraping and the like?

Detrimental side effects aside, I just don't get it.

It's not just that page, but rather all pages. I didn't read that page nor some of the others actually, but perhaps some of their other content is "theft-worthy". I don't know.

Perhaps... but if being 'pig sick of twitter' is one of them... well, let's just say that after glancing through the article, I didn't find anything sensitive / worthy of protection, at least not IMO (come to think of it, judging by the other articles [at least displayed on the home page], on the surface, it doesn't seem like news about Sony viewing NBN as a TV winner or Vodaphone boosting 3g coverage looks any more protection worthy - granted, I haven't read them in depth.. just making a judgement call from the looks of things).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.