Travel villa lettings website

gazever

It looks very... purple, might want to add some container with a max width to prevent it from becoming THAT purple at 1920x1200.

You're missing a couple of h's, there's a h3 without any h1 or h2 to be found on the page.

Design looks very.. pre-2000'ish, it's all square with thick borders and little decoration, and you ought to use labels for the form on the frontpage but

The LABEL element may be used to attach information to controls. Each LABEL element is associated with exactly one form control.

So that would give your problems with the current setup.

The table here http://www.debbiesvillas.co.uk/pricing.php

could do with some better markup, think <thead><tbody><th><colgroup> and the axis attribute on the th's/td's.

It's clean and simple (nothing wrong with that). I do find that the purple-to-white background gradient does lend to a newbie-ish look (reminds me of infomercials where show the product and if you act and buy now, you'll get an extra one FREE!.. I see backgrounds like this in those, and that's probably why I think that).

Perhaps dressing up the bullet points a bit, as those graphics seem plain.. you could have a look at free icon sets and see if you can spruce up the place a little with well placed and relevant icons. It just seems too plain for my liking.

Perhaps also dressing up stuff like pricing tables (perhaps giving it a more 'polished look) An example like this (but with perhaps some gentle faded field lines)?

Using Yslow's smushit, you can save on image file sizes (home page can see a savings of 30.45 KB by example).

In addition to SEO comments regarding heading tags, the meta tag keywords is safe to remove, as search engines don't make use of these anymore (thanks to past abusive tactics).

As for page copy, in the about section, I think I would axe the first paragraph completely and just open it up with the second one.

Overall, it's lightweight and clean and does it's job nicely.. just needs some visual polish IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.