Internship Application

nepzap2

Hello PHP freaks,

I have been given the task to create an Internship application that the Education and Outreach person where I work is going to use. I have been using php/MySQL for about a year and a half. I consider my self an intermediate developer who is mostly a designer.

I can pretty much set up a big database and have query it using simple queries to more complex queries that use joins and so forth. I can also have the database be update able through forms. But there are some things that still scape me.

I feel that I need a good book that will help me broaden my skills.

Can any of you suggest a good book that covers creating an application that allows users to submit data to a mysql database for example summer student interns ()?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You 

thanks for replying Ken2k7,

Basically... I'm still not fully confident with my skills. In this application there are going to be at-least 19 people who will review the interns, prior to the review of these interns I have to be able to narrow the results these people see by (age, GPA, ethnicity, research interest, etc).

. The people who review the applicants must be able to rank their top 5 applicants.

there are other things that I know I'm going to be asked but for the most part I need to be able to add dynamic functionality to the application. Like comments... ranking all of that.

Those kind of things I'm still not comfortable with.

So is there a book you can suggest?

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

There is a good tutorial on phfreaks - Basic Database Handling.

In all honesty, you don't need a book for any of this.  There won't be a book for your specific needs anyway, reading a tutorial and learning how to work with PHP and MySQL will allow you to apply it to any situation.

yes....

the scientist have to be able to say drag and drop their top five to a column that would further narrow their candidates. I think I have the ajax solution for that.

But I just want to be able to create this thing and learn more while I do it.

Well if you know RoR and Scriptaculous, then the drag & drop feature and a regular table should suffice. It's actually really simple with RoR + Scriptaculous.

Anyways, you can have a column for rank and just have it be enum 0 to 5 or something.

You guys are making this sound more simple than what I think it is. Can it be really this simple? I already have created the form that uploads the information to the database. Next I will create the database... I was thinking of using only one table to store the data. Then I was going to write the script that recognizes the individual scientists and based on who it is have the database return the applicants that pertain to that scientists research. I was also going to create a script that does same page validation... I've actually have done that before. 

But O.K. I will trust you pro ad go ahead and start work on this.

Thanks for the tutorial Maq

If I run into difficulties I'm going to harass you guys.

Jeje.

Thank you

If you want me to move this to, "Application Design" I will, or, you could create a brand new thread there about your design to get feedback.

The hardest part would be the database design, I suggest you sit down, design and normalize your tables to improve performance and scalability.  (Database Normalization)

It's probably better you mark this as SOLVED and start a new thread there with your updated design and description of your task. (you will get more replies and it will be easier to follow)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.