site improvement

gregor171

Hi,

I'd need feedback for my new site.

http://xweblabs.com

Here's the thing:

It's a basic Drupal template for now, didn't have a lot of time for doing it, just added some content. I know I talk too much, but google likes it.

I'm not a designer but familiar with designers work, so I need to reorganize the site, add some jQuery content and some images.

I'd  appreciate some ideas.

Thanks ;-)

I like the over all look and feel. Pretty clean and organized (nice home page photo).

- I do find it lacks colour.. (feels too grey IMO). Perhaps making some aspects more colourful while still matching the grey theme? (perhaps adding a tint of orange for example to the 'Read More' link panels?) Adding some subtle yet matching colours here and there could make the page look more 'lively'.

- While the markup validates, the css doesn't.

- Perhaps the left hand panels can sport some small but attractive semi-bright bullet points for each item listing? (just to dress things up a bit)

- A related note: The panels are visually different on the home page as opposed to the others (home page has these left hand menus encased in a border with a gradient, while the other pages do not). Personally, I prefer consistency across the board. This is not a terrible thing however.

- Nice to see the use of a single h1 and multiple h2 heading tags.. but there is no meta description tag? This should be included, as this is used for search listings in search engines.

- Using Yahoo's Yslow, I am noticing that you are using 7 css stylesheets as well as 7 javascripts. I would consider merging / minifying where possible (Yslow provides this in the tools menu). And also try to put javascripts at the bottom of the page if you can, as this speeds up the main page rendering prior to script loading.

- Included in yslow is smushit.. a tool to shave under the hood aspects of images... your pages could use some savings (home page can save ~3.38k by example).

- The 'certified-it-professionals' seems pointless as it simply contains the same header and certification graphics as those found on the home page. I would perhaps spend a paragraph explaining to prospective clients what exactly this means.

Nicely done over all though.

Frontpage

• Nice photo.. but in my opinion it's too high, just makes it take longer for the page to load and at 1024*768 There's hardly any text on screen with the image being that high.
  • You could use <cite> for the posted by bits
  • Put a link to a RELIABLE (no wiki) site behind those 'certified' images, as at the moment they hold no value to me.

http://xweblabs.com/?q=web-application

If you're going to list things.. then why not use a list? <ul><li></li></ul>

http://xweblabs.com/?q=seo-search-engine-optimization

Any page stating anything about SEO optimization while having a '?' in the URL does not leave behind a good impression. Look into using mod rewrite or some creative htaccess use

http://xweblabs.com/?q=web-experiences

Bit hard to read, I'd group the h2's closer to the p's by reducing the bottom margin of the h2.. or indent the paragraphs on the left side or use some <hr>'s.

http://xweblabs.com/?q=web-design uff, IE5.5? You brave brave man! I'd scrap IE5.5 from that list and add IE8. English on this page needs some work as well.

http://xweblabs.com/?q=web-languages-we-speak again, if you're going to list things.. use a list. Although.. this would make sense as a definition list as well <dl><dt><dd>

In addition, you may way to use some <abbr> and/or <acronym> tags.

Looks nice, clean and simple with a nice color scheme. The only thing that I get hung up on is why the navigation is above the box with the logo, when it looks like you could nicely fit it inside and save that bit of space while making it flow better.

The header image, though it looks nice, is way too large. Virtually no content is visible above the "fold" (the stuff you immediately can see without scrolling).

I don't like the side bar menu gradients. I think they should be smaller and reversed.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty nice.

Guys. Thats great. Sorry for English, I'm not a native and It was a but hurry to make a page.

Thanks for suggestions, I'll have them in mind as soon I'll have time for that.

?q=seo ;-) jp I know that! There has been a constant debate about this issue and since I had some problems with url rewrite in Ubuntu, so I left it as it is and guess what? I'm on the 4-th google page for some keywords (and ok was for 3 weeks on the first for some) . This is not bad at all for little more than 1 month (shifts constantly). ;-))

Thanks a lot ;-)

ps: I'm also new on this forum, but will try to do some good here ;-)

It doesn't mention the use of '?' in a url anywhere.

If you ment you don't care much about search engines other than google (due to its massive market-share).. then yeah, but your google ranking might go up as well.

I'm on the 4-th google page for some keywords
Hardly anyone ever clicks all the way trough to the 4th page. If you're not on the first page the number of visitors you're receiving will go down hard. (I'm sure there are some numbers out there on this somewhere)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.