Adding data doesn't work - help needed

toxi

I'm trying to add the following set of data to my database

$query = "INSERT INTO bookings (bookTitle, date, bookStart, bookEnd, bookLanes) VALUES 
('$_POST[booktitle]','$_POST[date]','$_POST[bookStart]','$_POST[bookEnd]','$_POST[bookLanes]')";

these all correspond to a booking with the following types:

bookTitle: varchar(100)

date: date

bookStart: Time

bookEnd: Time

bookLanes: varchar(10)

Also, there's another field in my table, called id that's automatically incremented (the first column in my table)

After asking around I was told to use addslash but I don't see where that is needed.

Before adding this values to my database I've added the following code to verify that some input is indeed entered:

if(((isset($_POST['bookTitle']) && !empty($_POST['bookTitle'])) && (isset($_POST['date']) && !empty($_POST['date'])) && (isset($_POST['bookStart']) && !empty($_POST['bookStart'])) && ((isset($_POST['bookEnd']) && !empty($_POST['bookEnd'])) && ((isset($_POST['bookLanes']) && !empty($_POST['bookLanes'])));	

any help is appreciated

here it is

<?php
//Database connection details
$host = "**";
$mysql_user = "**";
$mysql_password = "**";
$mysql_db = "**";

//make connection with mysql and select the database
$mysql_connect = mysql_connect($host, $mysql_user, $mysql_password);
$db_select = mysql_select_db($mysql_db);

//will be used to show alert message for success or error
$alert = "";

//check if the form is submitted
if(isset($_POST['add']))
{
//check for empty inputs
if(((isset($_POST['bookTitle']) && !empty($_POST['bookTitle'])) && (isset($_POST['date']) && !empty($_POST['date'])) && (isset($_POST['bookStart']) && !empty($_POST['bookStart'])) && ((isset($_POST['bookEnd']) && !empty($_POST['bookEnd'])) && ((isset($_POST['bookLanes']) && !empty($_POST['bookLanes'])));																																																																	
{
	//add new event to the database
	$query = "INSERT INTO bookings (bookTitle, date, bookStart, bookEnd, bookLanes) VALUES 
('$_POST[booktitle]','$_POST[date]','$_POST[bookStart]','$_POST[bookEnd]','$_POST[bookLanes]')";

$result = mysql_query($query);

//check if the insertion is ok
	if($result)
		$alert = "New Event successfully added";
	else 
		$alert = "Something is wrong. Try Again.";
}
else 
{
	//alert message for empty input
	$alert = "No empty input please";
}
}
?>

Hum...

Here's the rest with the HTML code...does it make any sense ?

<html>
<head>
<title>Add New Events</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.pack.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="datepick/jquery.datepick.css" type="text/css" media="screen" charset="utf-8" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="datepick/jquery.datepick.pack.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function(){

//configure the date format to match mysql date
$('#date').datepick({dateFormat: 'yy-mm-dd'});
});
</script>
</head>
<body>
<form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="POST">
<table align="center">
	<tr>
		<td colspan="2">
			<h2>Add a New Booking</h2>
		</td>
	</tr>
        <tr>
		<td>Booking Title : </td>
		<td><input id="bookTitle" name="bookTitle" size="50"></td>
	</tr>
	<tr>
		<td>Date : </td>
		<td><input id="date" name="date" size="30"></td>
	</tr>

<tr>
		<td>Start Time : </td>
		<td><input id="bookStart" name="bookStart" size="10"></td>
	</tr>
        <tr>
		<td>End Time : </td>
		<td><input id="bookEnd" name="bookEnd" size="10"></td>
	</tr>        <tr>
		<td>Booked Lanes : </td>
		<td><input id="bookLanes" name="bookLanes" size="5"></td>
	</tr>
	<tr>
		<td colspan="2"><input type="submit" value="Add Event" name="add"></td>
	</tr>
</table>
</form>
<?php
//check if there is any alert message set
if(isset($alert) && !empty($alert))
{
//message alert
echo '<script type="text/javascript">alert("'.$alert.'");</script>';
}
?>
</body>
</html>

You need to double check you parenthesis on your if statement, they don't line up (error_reporting would have found this ;))

Hopefully color coding the parenthesis will help you find your errors (and yes, the ones that don't line up are bolded and underlined):

if(((isset($_POST['bookTitle']) && !empty($_POST['bookTitle'])) && (isset($_POST['date']) && !empty($_POST['date'])) && (isset($_POST['bookStart']) && !empty($_POST['bookStart'])) && ((isset($_POST['bookEnd']) && !empty($_POST['bookEnd'])) && ((isset($_POST['bookLanes']) && !empty($_POST['bookLanes'])))

Also, on your query:

Make sure to use curly brackets { } or concatenate the variables with a period:

('".$_POST['booktitle']."','".$_POST['date']."','".$_POST['bookStart']."','".$_POST['bookEnd']."','".$_POST['bookLanes']."')";

I've scraped the if statement and the file loaded fine, but it gave me an error of no input the moment it loaded!

So there's a prblem with my if statement I'll be looking at. Also, the query doesn't seem to work as it'll refuse to add data on to my database.

and I even tried this code:

('". addslashes($_POST['booktitle'])."','".$_POST['date']."','". addslashes($_POST['bookStart']) ."','". addslashes($_POST['bookEnd']) ."','". addslashes($_POST['bookLanes']) ."')";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.