[SOLVED] Trying to install PostgreSQL 7.4-4 on CentOS 5 for use with Project-Open

Jago6060

The title pretty much says it all.  I'm trying to install PostgreSQL on a CentOS 5 machine to be accessed by Project Open.  I grabbed the .rpm file for PostgreSQL and ran it, but when I try to use the commands listed to start the software, it can't find the command.  Any ideas?

SIDE QUESTION: Do rpm's have to be in a specific place to install correctly?(I'm not familiar with using .rpm files)

Firstly, unless you have the need for a sepecific version / feature you should probably be letting your package manager ( CentOS uses YUM I think ) take care of installing packages for you. Installing an rpm directly, you may run into dependency problems.

but when I try to use the commands listed to start the software, it can't find the command.

Likely the commands are not on your $PATH. You may need to su to root to execute them.

SIDE QUESTION: Do rpm's have to be in a specific place to install correctly?(I'm not familiar with using .rpm files)

Nope, but like I said, they may look for dependencies that you may or may not have available.

If the rpm installed without fail, its likely ok to stay. But yeah, you may want to remove it and let your package manager handle manging packages.

The entire point of a package manager is to make sure (or try to) all programs on your system are compatible with each other. So, installing rougue packages manually is not normally the wise thing to do unless you know what you are doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.