Our newspaper site I designed / coded

br3nn4n

I built this in Notepad++ by hand, maybe not the most efficient but I now have a much better understanding of HTML and PHP...etc.

Anyway, I'm looking for any and all criticism. Please tell me what you think, what's wrong with it, what you would change, etc. Anything you feel like saying, I'm open to it! :)

www.thenorthstaronline.com

And hey, most of it validates ;)

Mmmh not sure if this is going to end up a doublepost, something funky going on cause I tried to attach a .jpeg image which isn't allowed ( .jpg is though )

Go all the way and make it validate.

Try testing it in some other browser than internet explorer, as I don't think that white bar should be below the menu.. yet I'm seeing it in Firefox, Opera and Konqueror.

All 3 above browser also show a horizontal scrollbar that shouldn't be there as well (on 1680x1050, so everything fits easily)

[ul]

• The footer is a mess, I'd put the links at the top and make them use the full width, use an <ul><li> instead of a bunch of paragraphs pretending to be a list.

• For the photogallery I wouldn't use black text as the previous/next links, it looks exactly the same as the other text and links should stand out.
    • Photogallery still, the right sidemenu floats OVER the commentsbox.
    • Are the mainmenu/logo suppossed to be centered? they're not
    • Newspage uses a really really small font on the right, hard to read.
    • I think you should make the page you're currently on highlighted in the menu.
    • There are more tags than tables images list divs and paragraphs. Google <h1><h2> and find out what they're used for.
    • What's up with the ridiculous amount of CSS in the document itself instead of in a stylesheet? No caching like that, slowing the page down.

And on a personal note, I don't like the blue transition on the sides, would look better without it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I'll work on some of the stuff you mentioned, thanks very much!

I only work in Firefox by the way, I only just the other day placed the top header portion outside of the centered content portion. That white line is just randomly there, I think it may be the bottom of the header div, not sure but it is annoying. The menu resides to the left which is fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.