Best way to get an element value - js + DOM

rv20

I am trying to work out if one of my checkboxes is checked or not, the CB is inside a form called "myform" if that makes a difference and the checkboxes ID = "check_terms" - oh and the function name is also check_terms so i didn't make a mistake.

so i tried,

function check_terms(){

if (document.check_terms.checked == false){
alert('test');
}

}

didn't seem to work after clickig submit, i then tried,

function check_terms(){

if (document.getElementById('check_terms').checked == false){
alert('test');
}

}

You may have to add a forms['myform'] or something in there somwhere i couldn't get it,

Should you use document.getelementbyID...... or just document."elementname"..... 

or is it window.document.elementname.....

confused!

Second version should work (if you got a <input type='checkbox' id='check_terms' /> on the same page)

document.getElementById( 'id' ); is correct.

Think the first version indeed needs a form reference in there somewhere.

You should never use the same name for anything even if they are structurally different objects (e.g. a function and a field name). It will only cause confusion even if it does work.

In any event, the second block of code should work - at least it did for me when I tested it with a field and function named the same (both IE & FF).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.