Small if else code

Pudgemeister

hi all.

just a little if/else code i cant seem to get right.

wasnt sure if this was the right forum-but i need help to find out what is wrong with it.

pretty simple to reilise what im trying to work out:

[code]if ($ratings[votes]===0)

echo "0";
else
if ($current = $ratings[total] / $ratings[votes] === 0<
Echo "Current Rating: " .

($current) . "<br>";[/code]

simply-if i dont have the if else there-when $ratings[votes] == 0, i get an error on my page saying division by zero-this is understandable.

i am just trying to make a code where its like if $ratings is 0, echo Current Rating = 0 and dont do the division or echo current rating: $current. <br>  etc.

what am i doing wrong? (prob alot of stuff but u know)

Thanx For Reading

Pudgemeister

What is this line meant to do?
[code]
if ($current = $ratings[total] / $ratings[votes] === 0<
[/code]

As it is it will set $current to true or false, depending on whether the outcome of $ratings[total] / $ratings[votes] is identical to 0 or not, and only execute the following echo statement if the outcome was true.

[quote]if ($current [b]=[/b] $ratings[total] [b]/[/b] $ratings[votes] === 0)[/quote]

Are you trying to mean
[code]if ($current == $ratings[total] || $ratings[votes] === 0)[/code]

In PHP
[b]==[/b] means equal to
[b]||[/b] means or
[b]&&[/b] means and

thanx for the help there guys.

though i am still getting the same error-u have tought me alot through the help you have given so thanx lol.

at the moment when i try loading the page with andys solution, the page displays this:

Name: First item
Current Rating: 4.5
Rank Me: Vote 1 | Vote 2 | Vote 3 | Vote 4 | Vote 5
Name: Second item
Current Rating: 3.75

Name: Third thing
Current Rating: 3.57142857143

Name: The Forth
Current Rating: 4

Name: Fifth Thing
Current Rating:
Warning: Division by zero in /home/pudgesuk/public_html/clips_n_pics/vote.php on line 42

which is exactly what ig ot in the first place hehehehe.

so basically the if else code cant b right as the number is obviously 0 but the if else code isnt identifying that:
[code]
echo "Current Rating: ";
if ($ratings[votes]===0 || $ratings[total]===0) {
    echo "0";
} else {
    $current = $ratings[total] / $ratings[votes];
    echo $current;
}
echo "<br/>";[/code]

sorry bout this-its just im so close to having what i want on my site that its getting frustrating lol.

cheers for reading.

Pudgemeister

Where is $ratings[votes] assigned? It may not be getting set, if not then the line "if ($ratings[votes]===0 || $ratings[total]===0)" won't catch it and you will still get a division by zero. Make it "if ($ratings[votes]===0 || $ratings[total]===0 || (!isset($ratings[votes])))"

ok that has sorted the if else prob.

but now there are a few (im guessing) minor issues with this piece of code now.

99.99% of it i got from a site.

[code]
<?php
// Connects to your Database
include ('dbinfo.inc.php');

//We only run this code if the user has just clicked a voting link
if ( $mode=="vote")
{

//If the user has already voted on the particular thing, we do not allow them to vote again $cookie = "Mysite$id";
if(isset($_COOKIE[$cookie]))
{
Echo "Sorry You have already ranked that site <p>";
}

//Otherwise, we set a cooking telling us they have now voted
else
{
$month = 2592000 + time();
setcookie(Mysite.$id, Voted, $month);

//Then we update the voting information by adding 1 to the total votes and adding their vote (1,2,3,etc) to the total rating
mysql_query ("UPDATE vote SET total = total+$voted, votes = votes+1 WHERE id = $id");
Echo "Your vote has been cast <p>";
}
}

//Puts SQL Data into an array
$data = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM vote") or die(mysql_error());

//Now we loop through all the data
while($ratings = mysql_fetch_array( $data ))
{

//This outputs the sites name
Echo "Name: " .$ratings['name']."<br>";

//This calculates the sites ranking and then outputs it - rounded to 1 decimal
echo "Current Rating: ";
if ($ratings[votes]===0 || $ratings[total]===0 || (!isset($ratings[votes]))) {
    echo 0;
} elseif ($ratings[votes]>0 || $ratings[total]>0 || (!isset($ratings[votes]))) {
    $current = $ratings[total] / $ratings[votes];
    echo $current;
}
echo "<br/>";

//This creates 5 links to vote a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 rating for each particular item
Echo "Rank Me: ";
Echo "<a href=".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?mode=vote&voted=1&id=".$ratings[id].">Vote 1</a> | ";
Echo "<a href=".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?mode=vote&voted=2&id=".$ratings[id].">Vote 2</a> | ";
Echo "<a href=".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?mode=vote&voted=3&id=".$ratings[id].">Vote 3</a> | ";
Echo "<a href=".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?mode=vote&voted=4&id=".$ratings[id].">Vote 4</a> | ";
Echo "<a href=".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?mode=vote&voted=5&id=".$ratings[id].">Vote 5</a><p>";
}
?>[/code]

firstly-the cookie revote thing (where it stores a cookie in the persons browser saying that the person has voted if they try to vote again) isn't working.

secondly-the problem tat we just sorted is good and all-but it still doesnt show "current rating: 0" when its a zero rating. Just "current rating: " which is much better than having the error there but if we could get the zero to appear-it would b helpful.

cheers for reading

Pudgemeister

I would say for starters, this line
[code]
//If the user has already voted on the particular thing, we do not allow them to vote again $cookie = "Mysite$id";
[/code]

was actually meant to be two lines:
[code]
//If the user has already voted on the particular thing, we do not allow them to vote again
$cookie = "Mysite$id";
[/code]

as, at the moment, the variable $cookie doesn't appear to be defined in your script. Also, what should "Mysite$id" be? I think you need to change this to a string value that identifies your site.

omg i cant believe i didnt see that!

thanc for that-it sorted the prob.

as far as i can tell after testing it-everything is working!:D

thank u all so much.

what im going to do now is try and use this to make a picture and video rating system throughout my site.

cheers all

Pudgemeister

Triple equals means "is identical to", not just "is equal to". For example if you have a numeric variable returned from a function, and "false" means no value returned, the problem is that zero could be interpreted either as the value zero, or false. But by using if($value === false) you can test the variable correctly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.