Arrays and when they should be used

cliftonbazaar

My program is using several arrays (have over a thousand variables so arrays are a must).

At the moment I am simply exploding the arrays when needed and then imploding them if they need to be saved.

This morning I was thinking that maybe I should put each array into its own $_SESSION at the start of the program so I don't have to keep imploding and exploding them, except imploding them in order to save any changes.

Is there much difference in these two methods in the way it effects the server?

Well, if you save a string in the DB like:

"one, two, three" - explode that would get you an array ( 0 => "one", 1 => "two", 2 => "three") then implode that into something like "one - two - three"

don't ask why I'd do something like that, but it's possible somebody would want to. :P

Crayon Violent - I actually wanted to know what exploding an array would do. In my tests, they just come back as the original array. I would think PHP would give me an error, but it doesn't. ???

er.. well when you try to explode an array, for instance:

$x = range('a','z');
$y = explode(' ',$x);

explode evaluates it as a string of value "Array" and explodes the string based on the delimiter.

Exploding an array allows you to put a value from a database into an array of values.

For example if the database value is {Human, fighter, strong}

then it could be exploded to

abilities[0] = human

abilities[1] = fighter

abilities[2] = strong

this helps in putting variables together in values that are needed on the one page and not having to have a thousand differant fields in a database.

For me this system works fine, I'm just worried about putting strain on the server.

Note that this is just a simple example, the reality is that the values are a lot bigger.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.