[SOLVED] Problems with SELECT

zamp0e

I'm having huge problems learning the sql syntax for INSERT, and how to properly use it to get an output in the browser.

For far too long now I have tried to simply print out the first 5 rows of my database, I have searched the web for tutorials on how to do this, and they all say the same; something like this:

SELECT * FROM table_name

That's all I've found, I know I have to declare it and stuff like that but I just don't know how.

So the question is, How do I get my browser to print out the 5 first lines of my database ?

First 5 records according to what?  (id, date, etc...)

It would look something like:

SELECT * FROM table LIMIT 5

(You will need ORDER BY if you want to get the first/last 5 according to a specific column)

I'd like to print out 5 rows where the ID is (1,2,3,4,5)

The thing I tried was something like:

SELECT name FROM iqtable WHERE ID=1
echo "$name"
SELECT name FROM iqtable WHERE ID=2
echo "$name"
SELECT name FROM iqtable WHERE ID=3
echo "$name"
SELECT name FROM iqtable WHERE ID=4
echo "$name"
SELECT name FROM iqtable WHERE ID=5
echo "$name"

Obviously, this is nowhere near right, as it's not working, and just looks plain stupid.

There's examples in the manual - mysql_query.

I guess I assumed the value of ID wouldn't change. As in, a row with ID 10 wouldn't be before a row with ID 5.

Maq - I think the column is ID, not id.

Ah yes, 'ID' not 'id'.  ;)

Thanks

NP, the query should be the hardest part, and you've already got that done.  If you have any questions, I would probably create a new thread in the 'PHP Help' section.  So if the query is solved, please mark as so.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.