Setting a minimum length or something similar

cpd

Hello, im trying to set an input tag so that it has "EUF" permanantly in it however the user can still type text AFTER the "EUF" text. Could someone please push me on my way an tell me how to do this using JS? thankyou

HTML has a "maxlength" attribute you should look into.

If you don't want the user to be able to change it at all, an input is perhaps not the best way to go. You could setup a bit of JavaScript on the element though to make it default back to a value when the user loosees focus on the input (onblur):

<input (...) onblur="this.value='EUF';" />

Yeah ive done that already and that works absolutely fine but they can still delete that text and type something else. i just dont want them to delete it what so ever...

I agree with the last. Just put EUF as text just before the input field, so the user knows to enter the EUF code without the EUF text. Then add EUF to the input on the server-side before you use it.

Something like:

EUF<input type="text" name="EUFCode" />

If you want it to look as if it's in the input field you could a big left padding on the input and position absolute for positioning the text over it. HTML forms do not (yet?) allow masked textboxes like those found in programming languages.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.