RSS to EMAIL - How to???

ltrem

Hey!

We have some pages / search related that people can subscribe VIA RSS to know when a new item is added... I would like to add the email feature... something that would do exactly the same as it does on www.feedmyinbox.com .

I just can't find any help or coding tips to get me started...

If anyone can help... I would appreciate! thanks!

Can you show us an example of what they send you in your email? I'm not going to give them my email address, because I am paranoid about spam. If you could share more details about what they do, then perhaps we could come up with a solution that meets your needs.

For my business, when we have a new product or something to advertise, we simple send out an email to our email database, letting them know what is going on. We currently use getresponse.com, but may be changing to constantcontact.com soon. These services make it fairly painless for you to send out emails to people.

I'll try to be more specific,

Our website consist of selling products (House plan). Those products can be sorted with different "type". Let's say one type would be "House with garage" and another one "House without garage". When they get the that "House with garage" pages, they would have access to an RSS icons that would subscribe them to this kind of product. The RSS is built each time the user access it. It show the 10 most recent "House with garage".

In case the user don't use RSS, we would like to give him choice so he can get those "new house with garage" sent to his email each time a new plan is added. He would then receive the 10 last most recent "house with garage" with the new one on top.

I'm a bit confused on how the RSS work... hope you can lead me to somewhere with this.

Thanks

Who and when do the new "plans" get added?

You could have your mail script run every time a new plan is added. Lets say that someone adds a plan to category "house with garage"/cat id "5", after the code has executed to add it to the database, you run a query to get the 10 latest plans with cat id = 5 and build the email and use the mail() function to send if out to your subscribers.

The plan are added by director via a Intranet website.

Your idea is good but what if we add 3 plans in a row? We don't want to send 3 emails with 1 minutes interval... how could we make this to send the email once each 24h...

RSS and this email thing gives me headaches !!!  :-\ :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.