[SOLVED] Strange MySQL/PHP Script error

neex1233

<?php $allow = array ('2');include ("/home/Username/public_html/folder/protect.php"); ?>

<title>Delete User</title>

<?php

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","My_Username","Password");

mysql_real_escape_string(mysql_select_db("My_DB", $con));

$username = $_POST['username'];

if (isset($_POST['delete'])) {

$sql = mysql_real_escape_string(mysql_query("DELETE FROM users WHERE username = '$username'"));

mysql_query($sql)

or die (mysql_error());

}

?>

<strong>User Deleted</strong>

<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="2;url=myurl">

That's my whole page. As you can see, there is no '1' on the page. Here is my error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '1' at line 1

What is wrong with this script? It really does delete the user, but I always get this error and it doesn't redirect the user to my specified page. Thank you.

Upon closer review, you are escaping the whole result of one query and putting that into another one -

$sql = mysql_real_escape_string(mysql_query("DELETE FROM users WHERE username = '$username'"));

You are supposed to only escape string data that goes into the query and $sql should be just the query string because you are then putting that into another mysql_query() statement.

I did that, but I'm still getting the same error.

I might not have did it right, here's my new code:

<?php $allow = array ('5');include ("/home/username/public_html/folder/protect.php"); ?>
<title>Delete User</title>
<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","Username","Password");
mysql_select_db("DB_Name", $con);
$username = $_POST['username'];
if (isset($_POST['delete'])) {
$sql = mysql_query("DELETE FROM users WHERE username = '$username'");
mysql_query(mysql_real_escape_string($sql))
or die (mysql_error());
}
?>

<strong>User Deleted</strong>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="1;url=myurl">

Oh yes, and the script still works, it's just the error that shows up and none of the things I put in the body.

Actually, I fixed it. Well, not really, I just removed the 'mysql_error()' line.

If you want to properly fix it, implement my suggestion and post the current code.

(You can mark the top "Not Solved" again, by clicking the same button as marking it solved.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.