Why I need to enter 0.0 in order for number entry to be updated; and not just 0

mac007

Hi all:

I have this slight problem, where I always have to enter "0.0" in order for my record to be updated properly; otherewise if I just put "0" it doesnt take it and remains null... ???  I'd like to simply enter 0 and have it update... am I missing a function?  my table-field is setup as float(11,2). Here's the basic sql statement I'm using (each month refers an amont to be updated). Is it beacuse I am NOT filtering the data as integers? or numbers?? 

$updateQuery = mysql_query("UPDATE BUDGETS SET Jan=$Jan, Feb=$Feb, Mar=$Mar, Apr=$Apr, May=$May, Jun=$Jun, Jul=$Jul, Aug=$Aug, Sep=$Sep, Oct=$Oct, Nov=$Nov, BUDGETS.Dec=$Dec, notes='$notes' WHERE recordid = $accountid AND recordcustid = '$member'");

Thanks in advance...

Hi, Maq...

I mean that if I just enter "0", the record doenst update and simply remains "null". But if I type "0.0", then it does update and shows updated record as 0.0. I want to simply type "0", and then for it to update and show 0.0 also...

There must be something wrong in your code that is displaying the information. I just created a table with a column float(11,2) and was able to update a null value to 0.00 by using a 0 in an UPDATE query.

Have you directly examined the values in the database using a tool like Mysql Query Browser? Are you sure of your table definition? Are you sure your UPDATE query got executed and the value actually got changed or is it still a null and your code is displaying nulls as 0?

Hi PFM... thanks for your help,  I got this to work, kind off with this code:

$Sep= $_POST['Sep']; if ($Sep == 0) { $Sep = "0.0";}

BUT NOW, if the form fields are left blank, then it automatically inserts 0.00 (not blank, which I also want the DB fields to remain).

I tried to modify to this, but didnt seem to work...

$Sep= $_POST['Sep']; if ($Sep == 0) { $Sep = "0.0";} elseif(is_null($Sep)) { $Sep = 'NULL';}

Any ideas?

Thanks again...

Thanks, Ken...

I tried your code but still doing same thing... I reversed if / elseif statements, and added === as you suggested; but still no luck...

$Sep= $_POST['Sep']; if(is_null($Sep)) { $Sep = 'NULL';} elseif ($Sep === 0) { $Sep = "0.0";}

I dotn get why mysql is not understanding the is_null() function... I mean that pretty much indicates that field is blank, doenst it?  as opposed to empty()...

sorry, didnt answer earlier... had to step out for a while..

yes, it's a mysql database; but the validation is in php first. Then the value gets UPDATED in this mysql statement:

$updateQuery = mysql_query("UPDATE BUDGETS SET Jan=$Jan, Feb=$Feb, Mar=$Mar, Apr=$Apr, May=$May, Jun=$Jun, Jul=$Jul, Aug=$Aug, Sep=$Sep, Oct=$Oct, Nov=$Nov, BUDGETS.Dec=$Dec, notes='$notes' WHERE recordid = $accountid AND recordcustid = '$member'");

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.