Links in Some of the READONLY threads not working

I tried browsing the links to posts referenced. But, it only takes me to the forum index page. Probably other forums also have this problem.

I think the errors are due to mySQL auto increment numbers being reset or have gone out sync for some reason.

How do you generally deal with the problem....that is auto increment numbers for topics or posts getting out of sync?

If you have links for really old topics they won't work. The forum software was changed in mid-2006, so the URIs will have changed at that time.

So, the conversion between forums is not necessarily as advertised (or not mentioned)?

The IDs for posts or topics didn't get converted as far as I can tell. Could be that the tables are entirely different between the forum softwares.

Can you point me to an example?

For example this link

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32746&hl=

from

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,31047.0.html

does not work -- goes to forum index

That is because that link is from when we ran the old software a long time ago. Before I was admin, and before I was even a member here.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.