Anyone

waynew

And I hate mysql_real_escape_string.  people just throw it on everything and send it off to the database, as the answer to validation.  Someone entered in abcd instead of a phone number? who cares! we mysql_real_ecape_stringed it, it's all good!

Couldn't agree more.

LOL FU H4XORZ YOU CANT HAX MAH DATABA-WAIT WTF IS THIS SHIT

And I hate mysql_real_escape_string.  people just throw it on everything and send it off to the database, as the answer to validation.  Someone entered in abcd instead of a phone number? who cares! we mysql_real_ecape_stringed it, it's all good!

Pfft... who needs data integrity? That's just a fancy smart ass buzz word.

Pfft... who needs data integrity? That's just a fancy smart ass buzz word.

GARBAGE WAH?

CV, guess you'd hate me as I mysql_real_escape_string everything that a user sends that goes into the DB. Also, how much more efficent can an "integrity check" be than mysql_real_escape_string everything that a user submits?

Is there a tutorial on this issue that people have made or something? I am quite unaware, apparently.

I think you missed the part where instead of having your script check to see if the user actually entered in a (for example) validly formatted number, it just escapes it and sends it on its way.  So next thing you know, you have a database full of phone numbers like "abc" "abbclksdfja" etc... which guess what, they are escaped...but they aren't phone numbers!

You should have been doing something more like this:

$phone = preg_replace('~[^0-9]~','',$_POST['phone']);
if (!preg_match('~^[0-9]{10}$~',$phone)) {
  // tell the user they must supply a valid 10 digit number
} else {
  // $phone is valid. store it and it will be stored as 1234567890  so...no need to escape!
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.