Include file from web inaccessible folder

DjMikeS

Hi guys,

I'm currently building a helpdesk system with tickets and stuff.

I want to add attachments to tickets. These attachments are stored in a web inaccessible folder called "attachments".  In this folder, there is a folder for each ticket which holds the attachments.

The folder is protected by a .htaccess file.

I want to include an image from this folder in the webpage so that user can view the attachments. I don't want users to browse the images directly....

Now, when someone browses to the attachment, a "Forbidden" error is returned. I would like to keep this...

How can I do this ?

I've tried your solution, MadTechie, it doesn't work as expected, but I want to show the image in the browser instead of forcing a user to download it.

Is that possible ?

I was thing about something along the lines of what ninnypants said.

So I thought about using readfile() and then turn that outputstream back in to an image but I couldn't find a function for it.

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

I tried removing the force-download header. Now IE gives me the option to download the png and FF wants to download the file.png.htm

When I try downloading and opening the file in FF I get the bytestream instead of the actual image, so I'm thinking that's a header problem.

I've changed it into this:

<?php
$url = arrayUrl($_GET['url']);
$file = $html->includeAttachment($url['2'], $url['3']);
header("Content-Type: image/png");
@readfile($file);
?>

But that gives me the following error:

The image “http://172.16.32.24/pecs/tickets/attachments/000001/screenie.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I can confirm that the image on the server is correct.

What am I doing wrong ?

Of course,  how could I forget the @...

I've removed the @ and the header. The output is:

�PNG  ��� IHDR�����l���+�8���sRGB�������gAMA

And a lot more of the same...

What am I missing ?

I've tried that but as soon as I uncomment the image/png header, FF starts complaining about the image containing errors and IE just outputs raw data...

Is there anything else I can try to figure this out ?

Try this

<?php
$url = arrayUrl($_GET['url']);
$file = $html->includeAttachment($url['2'], $url['3']);
if(filesize($file) >0)
{
header("Content-Type: image/png");
readfile($file);
}else{
echo "error too smalled check read permissions to file and folder";
}
?>

I've tried that and it gives the same error. The filesize isn't zero because when I remove the header, it does output the raw data of the PNG. For some reason, I can't get the image to display properly.

I'm using a custom build framework and I found out that the script itself is working. So I'm thinking that the framework is corrupting the data somewhere...I will have to dive in to this. For the time being, I could store the attachments (mostly images, screenshots) as BLOB in the database...

Is there a reason not to save the image as BLOB ?

Theirs reasons for storing it in a blob and reasons not to store it in a blob, personally (and most agree) I wouldn't store it in a blob, but theirs exceptions to every rule..

Can you test the images (just move a test one to a public area and view it)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.