[SOLVED] Question on query efficiency

baconbeastnz

Hi there, I am hoping to be in a high load environment ( :) ) . Which would be more efficient.

For each photo I want to show associated comments.

So I could in table photo album have a comma seperated list of the comment ID's which relate to the comment table. This simply requires finding each row id.

OR I could simply search the comment table where pictureID = 7. This requires searching on the comment table which will grow huge.

So i guess my question is, when you specify a row id of the unique identifier does SQL actually search or does it just grab, as opposed to finding one with pictureID 7 (which is not a unique identifier) it would have to search...?

"So i guess my question is, when you specify a row id of the unique identifier does SQL actually search or does it just grab, as opposed to finding one with pictureID 7 (which is not a unique identifier) it would have to search...?"

A unique constraint is basically just an index that requires only 1 of each entry to be present.

As such, in your terms, yes MySQL would just "grab" a unique row, but, with indexes it could also just "grab" non-unique rows.

So yes, as fenway said, stick with a normalized database.  The only time you should ever stray from normalizing your database is if it provides a needed performance boost, and there's no other way to achieve that.  (For example, in this situation you should just use indexes.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.