Connection timeout due to sleep()

phixx

Hi,

I have a script that starts out with establishing a connection:

$dbConnection = mysql_connect(.., .., ..);

mysql_select_db(.., $dbConnection);

Problem is that my script calls some functions - and these functions call other functions - and one of the sub-sub-functions has a sleep() for 10-20 seconds.

The sleep() causes my mysql connection to timeout (error on mysql_query() is "MySQL server has gone away"). If I remove the sleep() I can run the script without any errors.

Unfortunately removing the sleep() in production isn't an option, so what can I do to avoid the timeouts?

Thanks a lot,

Phixx

Well, your server will time out (and mysql's connection will drop) if your requests take too long. They are your choices.

Sounds to me like your script probably shouldn't be executed via a web server but rather a cron or some other process.

if I don't give them a short break once in a while

Ummm. Computers don't get tired. They can perform the same task indefinitely. As always, you need to find and fix the problem that lead you to believe you must insert the seep(). If you have a timing issue, you can probably solve that with some handshaking/conditional logic.

So there is no way to keep the connection alive longer, so it doesn't time out? Or a way to automatically reconnect if the server has gone away?

Not from a single-threaded script, no... but that's well outside the scope of the mysql board.

I got an idea:

Make a global variable, $dbConnection

Wrap sleep in disconnect/connect, like this:

mysql_close($dbConnection);

sleep(20);

$dbConnection = mysql_connect(...);

mysql_select_db(..., $dbConnection);

Problem is that mysql_error still returns "MySQL server has gone away" :(

Why is that?

Thanks,

phixx

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.