Paid Subscription

Bman900

So lets say I want to make a site where people can buy memberships for 30 days or for a whole year. I have a user system but I have no clue on how to do this. I was thinking after the payment is made I can enter a code in the database that get checked when the user is logged in. The problem that I am running into is how to I change that code in the database after 30 days or 12 months after they signed up so they wont have a subscription any more?

Just store the date they paid up to,

so

time()+(30*24*60*60)

for 30days

Or the date they paid, and the type of account (30 days / 1 year / etc)

yah or to save the cpu power of processing all those multiplication cpu instructions

just type in google 30 days to seconds

which gives you 2592000

time()+2592000;  = 30 days

You don't need to drop any values, if the paid for a subscription to until 06/24/2010 then you just need to compare to the current date

ie

SELECT * FROM payements WHERE paidto >= CURDATE();

Personally I find it quicker to do (30*24*60*60), its quicker to debug and update vs microseconds to process!

infact i just ran a benchmark, 5000 iterations

it seams sometimes mine is quicker!, which is kinda unexpected!

0.00064196524620056 //pkedpker

0.00064111461639404 //mine

0.00065427861213684 //pkedpker

0.00064351334571838 //mine

0.00067055644989014  //pkedpker

0.00067531914710999  //mine

0.00056252417564392 //pkedpker

0.0005777334690094 //mine

0.00063268013000488 //pkedpker
0.00069262042045593 //mine

haha like a few microseconds in the cpu really matter.. but yah i guess its nicer doing it your way of course.. .. maybe even make a static constant with that value and called it THIRTY_DAYS

but then accessing the constant may be slower then typing the magic number lol so either way its sucks

You don't need to drop any values, if the paid for a subscription to until 06/24/2010 then you just need to compare to the current date

ie

SELECT * FROM payements WHERE paidto >= CURDATE();

Correct me if am wrong. I will put that in an query and run it. Then it should return a value if there is something in there. If not that obviously they don't have a subscription or it was expired. So after the query I  can run an if (something got returend) { do thid} else { you don't have a subscription}

Correct me if am wrong. I will put that in an query and run it. Then it should return a value if there is something in there. If not that obviously they don't have a subscription or it was expired. So after the query I  can run an if (something got returend) { do thid} else { you don't have a subscription}

if the paidto is set in the future (from when they paid) (ie they have paid up to that date)

then anyone found has a valid membership

maybe even make a static constant with that value and called it THIRTY_DAYS

wouldn't that use a few extra bytes of memory!! LOL

Its all down to personal preference, I guess! but I try to keep in mind what makes upgrades quicker and safer

It'll give everyone who still has a subscription not 1 person.. so I have no idea how that will help you.. too much you can either check every name then while the loop is going or you can just check right away in the query  WHERE name='username' or  id='userId' AND paidto >= CUTDATE();

yah you can do a if statement with the results from  mysql_num_rows()

@MadTechie: lol yah its all personal preference but not really that big of a deal to remember since you know NOW() always returns seconds and anything that big has to be alot!

P.S> you think you could look at the TIMESTAMP question of mines I still don't know which function is better and since you are good at benchmarking all I care about is execution speed

/*
###Check user is registered/logged in
###Process Payment
*/
// If payment valid
// Subscription length stored in $subscriptionLength
if ( $subscriptionLength == "30 days" )
{
   $subscriptionLength = time() + (( 3600 * 24 ) * 30);
}
elseif ($subscriptionLength == "1 year" )
{
   $subscriptionLength = time() + (( 3600 * 24 ) * 365);
}

$query = "UPDATE userTable SET subscription = " . $subscriptionLegth . " WHERE userField = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($userSession) . "' LIMIT 1";
   $result = mysql_query($query); // or handle error

if ($result)
   {
      Header("Location: subscriptionSuccess.htm");
   }
   else
   {
      Header("Location: subscriptionFail.htm");
   }

// else give error

/*
### Check subscription valid
*/
$query = "SELECT subscription FROM userTable WHERE userField = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($userSession) . "' LIMIT 1";
$result = mysql_query($query); // or handle error

$row = mysql_fetch_row($result);

$subscriptionLeft = $row[0] - time();

if ($subscriptionLeft <= 0)
   {
      Header("Location: expired.php?act=Renew");
   }

/*
###Include this file at top of each page where subscription is required after session_start() and db connection
*/

Could do something like that? 

Yah andy thats nice but it always strikes me odd.. how people use LIMIT 1.. after that wouldn't it give 1 result either way?.. not like your using a LIKE command which gets things that have similar names.. like  if you do a query for 'And' it will return  Andy, Andrew. etc..

other then that whats the point? of using LIMIT 1  (correct me if im wrong i'm still a noobie at php only been using it for a week now lol)

Because the registered username/id should be unique, in effect, the query SHOULD only select one field; so if there is an error in the registration script (or something) and somehow two entries of the same name have "somehow" got in there, it wont update or select the user field twice and lose subscription money. It would probably never happen but, who knows...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.