[SOLVED] Problem with INSERT then.. UPDATE but what is DELETE?

pkedpker

So this is how it goes atm..

everytime someone logs in it enters into online_list table his id and timestamp.. (I did want to do this in flat-text.. php) but it turned out to be even harder then just using mysql.. because I don't want results to pile up.. and If I used flat-text.. there would of be a chance where it would be deleting some data while new one is coming in.. and that would require 2 files.. one for new entries and 1 for current entries too much work to be honest. So new ones would get emptied only when added to current entries.

So then in mysql I ran into a problem like that similar..

everytime user logs in added to online_list table okay..

then I DELETE any user who didn't use any action for over 15 mins..

BUT that doesn't mean hes logged off.. since its session based. Say a user is deleted from online_list and still logged in.. I cannot use UPDATE Query anymore.. but INSERT.. but I want to see if its possible with a MYSQL trick like..

here is a trick for INSERT

INSERT INTO online_list (id,hidden,date) VALUES ($id, '0', NOW()) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE date=NOW()

ON DUPLICATE KEY.. is the trick to make sure no duplicate entries of same ID pop in due to the fact its not primary..

Now im searching for a trick to do UPDATE all the time without any inserts.. BUT if it doesn't exist.. then do a INSERT..

If none of of what im asking for exists in mysql.. then well... I'm stuck with always calling INSERT? when it might already exist? thats not stressful on mysql is it?

Now im searching for a trick to do UPDATE all the time without any inserts.. BUT if it doesn't exist.. then do a INSERT..

This isn't a trick.  Check out REPLACE.  It works similarly to insert except that if an old row in the table has the same value as a new row for a PRIMARY KEY or a UNIQUE  index, the old row is deleted before the new row is inserted.

should I just do a UPDATE in php and check with int mysql_affected_rows () if = 0 then do another query with INSERT?

or should I use replace (kinda looks compliacted?)

You could do it your way which would be slower, but you most likely won't notice a difference.  With REPLACE you only need 1 query.  You're choice.

I'd do it your way but I have no idea how?

REPLACE `online_list` SET `id`=".$_SESSION['id'], `date` = NOW();

or..

REPLACE `online_list` SET `date`=NOW() WHERE `id`=".$_SESSION['id']

which one? NVM.. solved only top one works.. too bad it affects 2 rows.. when it should only affect 1.. (probably just because it does delete then a insert again)

I like to use the INSERT syntax:

REPLACE INTO online_list (id, date) VALUES ({$_SESSION[id']}, 'NOW()')

Please refer to the manual for more information - REPLACE.

unforantely yours doesn't work. yah and i figured the missing quote in your $_SESSION['id'].. no compiler errors just doesn't update date.

Ahh fixed it NOW() was in quotes.. it cannot be in quotes as it is function

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.