php applications - To do or not to do

DEVILofDARKNESS

now I write every piece of my scripts on my own,

but I see often people using a program like drupal, joomla, ...

So I was wondering, is it better that I keep writing my own scripts, which ofcourse also trains me a bit,  or would I maybe grab to some of those applications that can do the most for you?

And if I would use so, which is the best for php and mysql?

You can also learn a lot from how other people have written their code (even bad code as well as good): new techniques, clever use of functions you never even knew existed, how they handle security issues, etc.

Just don't assume that everybody else writes good code, you also find bad code; but even that can teach you what to avoid as long as you learn to recognise bad code when you see it.

i wrote my own for 2 years then used a 3rd party applicatioins drupal joomla, they have very nice concepts of coding, then i started using frameworks, the power is in the frameworks such as zend and the javascript frameowoks to produce a developable emnvironment like joomla drupal.

But do you have the feeling that you can do a lot more then on your own and that you really can do what you had in mind?

And do you still have to write some scripts on your own or is it all auto-created with some mouseclicks?

javascript frameworks are mindblowing, when you combine them with an mvc that is using mod rewrite such as zend framework, you get a super easy to manipulate interface with great widgets and a backend that is designed to work with ajax. trust me its just damn easy and you end up making much more powerfull frontends using the js framework and much more inteligent frontends and backend logic. The backend becomes much more managable and easy to call functionality.

the zend framework comes bootstrapped with a file registry app.ini for your db conns and many many more classes features and structure.

each module can be seperated having different views controllers and layouts.

layouts are amazing you can apply them to a content produced by a method in a controler when outputed to a virew or you can simply tell it that this controller will output json or xml or somthing.

http://framework.zend.com/

http://extjs.com/ (this is a combo of all teh best frameowrks and much much more for js)

http://php-ext.quimera-solutions.com/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.