[SOLVED] create subdomains

newb

I found this on another forum:

What you can do is add a new wildcard subdomain. You can do this with DNS management like the tutorial I linked to below tells you to, but if you do not have access to your DNS management you can just add a new subdomain in your cpanel. To make it wildcard just add *.yourdomain.com. After doing this give the server some time to update, but if you did it right any subdomain you go to should return the same output as your root domain name (i.e. your index page).

After you add *.yourdomain.com create the .htaccess file below, and then all you have to do is have php make new directories in your root folder with the dynamic subdomain you want.

This code should be placed in the htaccess file in the root of your domain, i.e. domain.com/.htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   Options +FollowSymLinks
   Options +Indexes
   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteBase /
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !www.domain.com$ [NC]
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?([a-z0-9-]+).domain.com [NC]
   RewriteRule (.*) %2/$1 [L]
</IfModule>

Source

In that case, you don't really need to create the subdomains.  Using mod_rewrite you can extract the subdomain portion of the URL and pass that as a GET parameter to your applicaiton.

Try googling for "apache rewrite subdomain GET".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.