Installing Linux with RAID

proggR

I'm going to be installing Linux on my server in the next few days. Actually it's netBSD. I've managed a few Linux installs in the past but I've never worked with RAID in my life and will be setting it up on the server. Would I run through the install and point to hd0,0 or whatever partition I choose for the OS and then setup RAID from within netBSD? I have some Compaq bootable smart start CDs which I guess help you configure your RAID but I haven't had any luck booting from it. I'd rather not mess up the windows server install in vain and have to reinstall it. Especially if I need those discs to boot.

Anyway. Long post but if anyone can help it'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

I know it's not. That's why I said actually it's netbsd.

I believe it's hardware based RAID. It's a compaq proliant 3000. It has a smart start cd that aparently I can configure the raid with if I make floppies with it but I have a feeling that's for a windows install. I may be wrong. I also can't seem to boot from cd otherwise I'd try to just install netbsd normally. No f keys or delete will enter the bios either. Aparently you need to use the CDs to make changes but I haven't figured out how.

Is it software or hardware raid you are using?

I.E. do you have a dedicated RAID card in your computer and are you setting the raid leve (0,1,5 etc.) at boot time?

Or do you want to use Software Raid, where *nix will do the raid for you in software?

There is a big difference between both.

If your using Hardware raid, then it should ideally just expose one single drive to install on, i.e. hd0.

If your using software raid, then you have a bit of work to do. Most *nix systems do not boot off a raid partition. Typically a small ext2 partition is left to put /boot on.

More info and research needed.

-steve

I believe its hardware based but I've only ever read about RAID, never tried to use it so I don't really know how to tell. The device manager shows a RAID controller so I can only assume its hardware based.

Has anyone worked with Proliant servers before? I can't change the BIOS to boot from disc and it doesn't boot from the netBSD disc I have. I read that resetting the BIOS may make it boot from disc but I can't recall where I found that out. If it is hardware and only exposes one drive as you say I think I could get further ahead with the process. I'll keep reading but any other help would be awesome as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.