Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted...

cs.punk

When resizing images of bigger sizes than 300kb (I'm not sure exactly, but that's the figure I estimate) with my home brewed function (image_resize).

I get this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2304 bytes) in D:\Web Server\xampplite\htdocs\functions\image_resize.php on line 19

Of which line 19 is

$tmp_image = imagecreatefromjpeg ($original_image);

Why is it using more than 16MB of RAM? When it seems to be just trying to use less than 2kb?

And how do I increase this limit?

"Why is it using more than 16MB of RAM? When it seems to be just trying to use less than 2kb?"

This particular aspect of your script is not using more than 16Mb of ram, everything being run by PHP in that instance is using a total of more than 16Mb.

"And how do I increase this limit?"

The variable is memory_limit in your php.ini

If this is a shared server you likely do not have access to adjust this value however you can usually do so via your code as well using this at the top of your page.

ini_set("memory_limit","32M");

where 32M is the new value for PHP Memory.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.