php code to convert pdf to excel?

mikebyrne

I think you are going to have a tough time to find anything to fit your needs. Because of how a PDF is created trying to reverse engineer it is not a simple task. It would be even more complex in trying to decipher the code into a table structure. There are solutions, but most, if not all, will cost money. And, I don't know of any that are strait PHP. The solutions I know of would require the installation of software on a server which the web application (in PHP or another language) would interact with.

There are some free services, but none that I know of which you could utilize via a web application. Here is one which requires you to upload a file via a form and then receive a confirmation via email once the file is ready. Not exactly a real-time solution.

http://www.freepdfconvert.com/convert_pdf_to_source.asp

PDF files can be almost impossible to read and interpret the data unless they have a very precisely defined structure; and even then, it isn't easy.

It's entirely possible for a PDF to comprise nothing but bit images of scanned text, or all the features of a Word Document. This makes difficult to read, and extract anything of value.

Give us a sample of the type of structure your PDF files have, and I might be able to come up with something

If it's possible to read the PDF, then creating an Excel file is easy

Each page is in a fairly standard format for example

Polling Station: Athy Boys Nat. School -

Room 01

Ardreigh (ED Athy Rural) Athy

1 Callan, Cthy Wxxxide

2 Callan, Lam Waysxxxe

3 Callan, Marget Wayde

4 Callen, Cathne Bray Road

5 Callen, Tithy Bray Road

6 Carbery, Emma Farill

7 Carbery, Jeriah Farmhill

8 Carbery, Mry Farml

9 Carbery, Sarh Fahill

10 Cuy, Brian Bchlawn

11 Cully-Wall, Brda Beechlawn

There's 2 columns on each page

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.