best php cms system

bleustreak12

Do you want the best, or the easiest? I personally think Drupal is the best (though by no means have I tried enough of them for that to really mean anything). Easiest - there are a bunch. Wordpress is nice and easy. CMS Made Simple is pretty easy too.

Drupal gave me some trouble personally, its the annoying learning curve it takes a while to get familiar on how it works before you start developing a module or theme.

I mostly use wordpress, Joomla! (yes I have used joomla but only to do some theming work, not really that hard to create themes)

There is also SilverStripe, haven't used it but seems very attractive.. sadly it uses a template engine.. (just had a deja vu.. )

as for coding your own CMS, it's just the easy way out. It's okay to learn how to create a CMS but if you don't know much about security it can turn into the recipe for disaster.

Drupal gave me some trouble personally, its the annoying learning curve it takes a while to get familiar on how it works before you start developing a module or theme.

There is a steep learning curve with Drupal for sure. But once you figure it out, there isn't really much of anything you can't do with it, and it just makes coding everything so much faster and easier. It's really almost a framework, as much as a CMS.

It all depends on how big and complex of a CMS you want. The basic idea is to create a class which will consit of the components of the web page. Then you have areas available for plugging content in. Then you can create more classes to manage specific bits of content. Other classes to run the backend processing. But to Start you off I recommend making a class that can simulate a web page with a simple content region. Make sure you divide the page up into enough sections to give you the flexibility to adapt to different CSS layouts.

This is an awesome book for learning PHP and has a mini CMS as an example project. I highly recommend this book to beginners.

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Development-Luke-Welling/dp/0672317842

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.