Online University Degrees

Rebelrebellious

Do you know how much time a person should set aside for coursework when working towards a degree at an online university? I'm not looking for guesses. If you have done it, or if you know someone firsthand it would be awesome if you could share your insight. Thanks for reading,

I guess that depends now doesn't it.  How many courses will you be taking at a time, what type of courses, how self motivated are you.  The truth is, nobody can answer that question for you.  Everybody is different and it is circumstantial. I've taken some online courses and to be honest they are a joke. If you really want a degree and want an education to go with it you are better off in a classroom. 

Thanks. Although there are variables, it seems to me that there must be a mode answer. My understanding is that many of these programs are set up so that a student will be taking two classes at any given point in time.

Regarding the quality of such an education, having graduated from a state university, I am convinced that the whole of the education business is a fraud from grade school through the university. It is up to me to learn, but I can't issue myself a diploma. Since I am working full time and living check to check I can't afford to go back to school full time, nor would I want to (unless it is with a very prestigious school where I still have some faith that they are providing something of value). It suits me much more to actually do something while I am continuing to learn.

That said, I could still change my mind.

Most universities don't give a crap if you turn up or not, or do the work or not. You just wont pass. I'm guessing that online courses are of the same type; whereby you won't actually get by if you don't do the work. Would depend on the course though.

Thanks for the input Waynewex, but I'm not catching the relevancy of your post.

For my own purposes I am estimating that with a two class per semester load I should set aside 30 hours per week. I'm making no guarantees that this is realistic, but it is the sort of number I wanted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.