Capabilities of PHP Socket server.

xenophobia

Im developing a socket server using PHP.

What I wanna know is, how well can the PHP socket server can handle the public traffics.

Say if I got around 10K users connected to the server, will it able to handle all of them? What about the performance.

Well, my server is simple as to receive text message from client and redirect them to other client.

Anyone experience with php socket server?

10k connections at once? You have to be kidding.

PHP's socket implementation is pretty solid, I used to run my site on a web server written in php but haven't for a long time. Never had any trouble, but then again, I never had any traffic.

Im new to socket programming. But Im very familiar with PHP and did discover that PHP do provide a set of API for it.

So I wanted to give it a try. But my socket server will allowed the public to connect to it. So it will be alot of traffics.

But as PHP doesn't allowed multi-threads, so I just wonder whether using PHP server is effective or not.

Else, I will consider using Java.

Thanks for your advise thorpe! I think I will just continue my development on using PHP socket.

Im actually developing an virtual socket that enable browser to browser communication. I going to make it open source. Once i published it, i will first let the members of this community know.

Cya~

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said, I used to run a web site on a web server built with php. Your not likely to be getting 10k request at a time unless your planning on being the next google.

i'm not planning on being the next google, but i am interested in researching the topic.  does anyone know of any performance studies done on php socket servers?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.