Programming language question

apw

Hello i was interested in doing a project creating the isometric graghics and coding for a browser-based massive multiplayer online game using real-time with flash and have seen many of you talk about "action script" would this what i meed to purchase/download to begin this project?

Thats great havent done much research into using flash/action-script but im sure theres +plenty+ of free guides online for help

Just remember two things:

1. You get what you pay for, so there's no guarantee that free info will teach you the right way to do things

2. Online tutorials tend to only care about getting a specific task completed as opposed to teaching others about the big picture

IMO, you should get a good book on the subject (one that's specific to your version of Flash... search around on Amazon or another bookstore site and read the comments/reviews), and use online tutorials, guides, and forums as supplementary material.  It may cost you a bit extra, but it'll save you time and headaches in the end.

Could you recommend a book or two that would be helpful yet easy to understand for someone new to flash

Unfortunately, I cannot.  I'm not a Flash developer.  I know of Flash, and could probably cobble something simple together at gunpoint, but it's not in my toolbox.

The comments/reviews that most major bookstore websites have tend to be pretty informative.  You might want to check out the Visual Quickstart books.  They tend to be "My first <language>" books, but are often well written and have the info needed to at least be a qualified beginner.  They're not insulting like the various "For Dummies" books, and their examples work.

Also be aware that Flash is an expensive program.  Latest version costs like $700.  Even if you are eligible for a student discount (registered college student for example) it is still going to set you back a couple hundred bucks.  So it is an investment.  You can download a trial version for 30 days though.

Having said that, I would first focus on using the non-actionscript part of flash, first.  Learn the basic drawing tools, how the stage/layers/frames/scenes are all setup/work. Learn about creating an object through the flash interface, creating animations etc... why? Because actionscript revolves around all of these things. 

• 1 month later...

I was new to flash a year ago...the visual quickstart guide for Actionscript 3.0 by ypenburg is a great starter book-the best i read.  It really helped me understand the "big picture" where all the other books did not. (i buy many books)  The second helpful book i found is Learning Actionscript 3.0 by Shupe and Rosser.  This book makes too many assumptions and will leave you stumped if you are brand new to scripting (as i was) but makes an excellent addition to my first recommendation.  It goes much further and has some great insight into more advanced as3 stuff. (beware though...many typos!)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.