Function help

garethhall

Hello I am wanting to reduce my amount of scripting by using some functions so say I create a page called functions.php ans I put the following in there

<?php
function theMem($id){
$sql = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE memID = '$id'";
$rs = mysql_query($sql);
$rw = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs);
}
?>

Now I create the profile.php page and lets say I want to get memName, memEmail, memPhone out of the DB How would I get those values?

Maybe I was not to clear on what I need sure I can go echo $rw['memName'] in the function but my table has 30 fields let say I need only one value say memName the that's great but on another page I need 3 values say memDate, memStatus, memGender. Then this present a problem. I also don't want to pass the function the field I want as that prevents me from using certain fields as variables.  Does that make sense?

If I understand you correctly what you're trying to do is select mutliple fields in your table ?!

The correct way to go over this would be altering your querystring to this : ( example ofc )

$sql = "SELECT members.memName, members.memDate, members.memStatus, members.memGender FROM members WHERE memID = '$id'";

All the info you could need about the SELECT syntax can be found in these docs : http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/select.html

I hope this gets you on your way  :shy:

Sorry but still that is not it, I am already doing a select All if you look at my sql. Ok I am going to try and explain again.

I have a website with many pages. Most of the pages call data from the same table but different fields. So let say we have 3 pages

1 accountOverview.php

2 profile.php

3 publicProfile.php

so lets look at accountOverview.php so here I would like data like firstName, lastName, status.

Now for profile.php  I need firstName, lastName, emailAddress, dateOfBrith, address

and lastly publicProfile.php we need occupation, interests, blogAddress, webAddress ans so.

so typically I would write sql on everyone of those pages  that would look some like this

<?php
$sql = "select * from members where memID = $id";
$rs = mysql_query($sql, $client)
// Lastly we would echo the value we need IE
echo $rw['firstName'];
?>

Now this works fine but here is the issue I have to do this on a lot of pages not just the 3 mention above so I want to make my code more useable across the board since I and pulling data from the same table all the time. So I want to use a function or a class to do the work and call the same function over and over for as many time I need it with out having to write sql then query then fetch and so on.  SO can I have a function help me out here? Hmmmmm I am not sure but go some like $firstName = $this->$memFirstName from the function?

Just put your code in a seperate php file then called functions.php and in the beginning of each file just do a require_once(functions.php) call.

You can just use the variables from within that php file then like you would do within functions.php.

small example :

<?php
// functions.php

$sql = "select * from members where memID = $id";

$rs = mysql_query($sql, $client)

?>

<?php
// any page where you need something ...

require_once(functions.php);

echo $rw['firstName'];
echo $rw['lastName'];
// ... and so on ...

?>

Is this what you're trying to do ?

1) Your function needs to be available to the code that wants to use it.  You do this by using require_once() on the file.

<?php
// this is accounts.php
require_once( 'functions.php' );

$mem = theMem( 1 );
print_r( $mem );

2) Your function needs to return a value.
[code]function theMem($id){
$sql = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE memID = '$id'";
$rs = mysql_query($sql);
        return $rw;
}

Also, if you use mysql_fetch_object() instead of mysql_fetch_assoc, you'll have less typing to do.

$r = mysql_fetch_assoc();
echo $r['id'];

$r = mysql_fetch_object();
echo $r->id; <-- easier to type IMO

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.