'Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in ...' Error

ready2drum

I corrected a link for a web page using Dreamweaver 8 (.php file), and after saving the change and refreshing the web page, an error appeared:

------

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Intranet_Old\intranet\includes\header_1.php on line 30

------

line 30 reads as...

---

<?php

$username = $_SERVER["LOGON_USER"];

$username2 = explode('\\', $username);

Line 30 ->        $_SESSION['username'] = $username2[1];

echo($_SESSION['username']);

$_SESSION['valid_user'] = false;

for ($i=0; $i<$num_users; $i++) {

if ($users[$i] == $_SESSION['username']) {

$_SESSION['valid_user'] = true;

}

}

?>

---

I've not ever seen this error before and need assistance on how to resolve it.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The explode of $username did not contain as many fields as you thought it was. $username2 array does not contain an index at 1.

I would echo out your username and make sure it is what you were expecting. Also do a print_r on the $username2 array and see what it contains. Just to make sure they are what you expect them to be.

Not a problem. Alternatively what could be happening is you were getting this notice all the time until a server upgrade or switch happened and notice errors were turned on. They are not a huge problem, but better to remediate them.

You can also do a check like so:

$_SESSION['username'] = isset($username2[1])?$username2[1]:""; // default it to "" if there is no index in the array

Which would not show the notice error, but $_SESSION['username'] would be set to "" (an empty string).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.