genealogy in MLM, update by adding 1 to the value of existing rows with mysql

francis Ebhonaiye

Hello! can anyone help please!!!!!

I have a mysql table called sponsor_info like this...

user_id,  sponsor_id,  num_rate,  qualify,

when members filled the form and submit, the 'user id' and 'sponsor id' submit to the respecfull field, but as this happen! num_rate becomes 1 and qualify becomes 1, if another user filled the form with an 'existing user id', num_rate becomes 1 and qualify increment to 2 and all the other upline are incemented by 1

just like a geneology in MLM network marketing.

please! i really need a mysql querey that can better work for this, this is what i am using now!

$num_rate=$row_getcolname['num_rate']+1;

$insert2 = mysql_query("UPDATE sponsors_info SET num_rate='$num_rate', qualify='$num_rate' WHERE user_id='$sponsor_id'")or die("Could not insert data because ".mysql_error());

which is incrementing but not upgrading the upline. 

thanks Maq for your response, but you see! thats only update 1 row,

The issue here is that i am bulding a network marketing site, i need a Hierarchical mysql query that can update sponsors by adding one to thier initial value in qualify, in that case whenever a sponsor brought somebody and the form is filled online it cheks out the sponsor id on user_id if the sponsor exist it then uprade all the upline by1

Hi

It seems that what you have is a tree structure, and when you update a branch by adding to a count you want to update all the parent branches

Ie, in a pyramid selling scheme where person 1 has person 2 and 3 under them, and person 3 has person 4 and 5 under them. If person 5 sells something them those in line above them get something added to their account.

2 main ways to do this. Either recursively with multiple UPDATEs (simple to understand but not that efficient) or using sets, which makes inserts slower and is harder to understand but should be more efficient for reads and updates. This link might explain it for you:-

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.