Need Help With Short Script

haydenm92

I'm new to PHP and I need help with a short script to put on a webpage.

Basically I want it to redirect the visitor someplace else if the referrer is blank, and if the referrer is anything else, then just leave them on the page.

There are a bunch of smart people around here, I'm sure someone will be able to help me. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hayden

So would i just put

<?php

if($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] != '')

header("location: somewhere.php");

?>

On www.mypage.com

Then if I just type www.mypage.com in the browser I will be redirected to somewhere.php?

Is this all correct?

Thx guys!

$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] cannot always be trusted but if you pop that code at the top of the page (adding the curly braces for the is statment and then enclose the actual page code in an else statemnt I.e

<?php
if($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] != '')
{
header("location: somewhere.php");
exit;
}
else{

// page code to display if referrer does exist

}
?>

After re-reading your post your logic is backwards, needs to be testing if it's empty, not if it's not empty. Try this:

if (!isset($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']))
{
    header("Location: someplace.php");
}

Ok, so I just figured out I kinda need the exact opposite.. sorry!!

What I need my page to do is look for a specific referring URL. If it see's that referring URL, then it needs to redirect to another page. Otherwise, any other traffic that visits that page can stay there.

Sorry I was thinking wrong in my previous posts. So does anyone know how to do this?

if ($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] == 'url_here')
{
    header("Location: place_to_redirect.php");
}

As mentioned though, you can't truely depend on HTTP_REFERER to be accurate. If this is something security related I'd perhaps look into another method.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.