[SOLVED] For loops

jeeves245

Quick question :)

For loops are confusing me a bit... can anyone tell me what I would need to do to the for loop in the code below to make it loop until the $date runs out of values?

$id = $_POST['id'];
$date = $_POST['estimatedDelivery'];

foreach () {
          $sql2 = "UPDATE smail SET estimatedDelivery = '".$date."' WHERE estimatedDelivery = '".$id."'";
	  mysql_query($sql2);
}

Cheers :)

For loops are confusing me a bit... can anyone tell me what I would need to do to the for loop in the code below to make it loop until the $date runs out of values?
Does date have more than one value?

Yes it is pulled from the database and has a dynamic number of values.

Well.. i'll post the rest of the script (well the parts that matter). I don't know if it will work yet, i'm still fumbling my way through it with help from you guys :)

Here's the bit that should be of interest:

echo "<td> <input type='text' name='estimatedDelivery' value=".$new_date2."></td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['psNumber'] . "</td>";
  echo "<input type='hidden' name='id' value=".$row['psNumber'].">";
  echo "<td>" . $row['customerName'] . "</td>";

$new_date2 is just a date pulled from the database (how many values depends how many DB rows there are at the time).

Hmm so I assume if I modify the form to pass the values through as arrays they'll stay in the right order so when the form is being processed it will be possible to save them back to the DB in the same order?

Any tips on how to modify the form to do this? I haven't done it before..

Well, you didn't provide us with some sample values for $id and $date especially. If $date e.g. looked like

2009-01-01 2008-12-12 2000-05-23

you could explode() the string and then loop through each date:

<?php
foreach (explode(' ', $date) as $d) {
   //handle each date here, updating the database or whatever
}
?>

But to make sense the $id should also hold several IDs.

Then you'll need to name your input fields estimatedDelivery[] and id[]. That'll give you two arrays ($_POST['estimatedDelivery'] and $_POST['id']) in the processing script. You can loop through them like this:

<?php
$count = count($_POST['estimatedDelivery']);
for ($i = 0; $i < $count; $i++) {
   $sql2 = "UPDATE `smail` SET `estimatedDelivery` = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['estimatedDelivery'][$i]) . "' WHERE `estimatedDelivery` = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['id'][$i]) . "'";
   mysql_query($sql2);
}
?>

But your WHERE clause is odd; shouldn't you check another field than estimatedDelivery?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.