[SOLVED] Best way to handle this design? (transparency/shadow/background related)

ultrus

Hello,

I generally design things first, then figure out how to make it work afterwards. It seems to be more creative that way. In this case, I have some ideas on how to make the following design template work, but could use some feedback on the best route to take.

Here's a link to the mockup:

http://temporary.spacefoundationtestsite.com/preview/

I plan on using table-less css for the most part (calendar excluded). I'm strugling a bit though with the cloud background under the shadows. I would LOVE to just use transparent pngs, but we still have too many IE 6 users to create it like that.

My current thoughts are to use transparent png backgrounds where the shadows are, but maybe load in another revised template if IE6 is being used with a note saying, "You are using Internet Explorer 6, an old school browser from HELL. For the best experience, please update your browser to the newest version" (maybe not that harsh). The IE6 version would take out the clouds, and use flat backgrounds that match the main back.

What are your thoughts? Is there a better solution? Thanks for your input in advance! :)

You can hack ie6 to make transparent png's to work. You could even use css "expresion:" which is a proprietary ie-only css declaration.

What does the ancient wisdom say on google? Google is your friend. And to be quite honest, google will probably give you a better explanation/answer that you'll get here.

Thanks for your feedback. I did use Google first. Here's the challenge though: I can use 'expression' on a png image in IE6, but not a png background image. Am I correct on this? I look forward to feedback. I may be close to another more primitive solution.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.