Howto make MCrypt and PHP work together on CentOS

Hi all,

I've installed mcrypt on CentOS ( via yum ), but when I try to do a dl() call in A), I get the message in B).

A) dl( mcrypt.so ) or die('The Mcrypt module could not be loaded ['. $prefix . 'mcrypt.' . PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX .']');

B) The Mcrypt module could not be loaded [ mcrypt.so ]

Now, I know that yum has installed mcrypt, but I don't know the location it has put it in. Can I find that out? More importantly, how can I get the latest installed mcrypt working with my PHP system. Many threads suggest you recompile PHP ( ex: http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showtopic=26527 ), but I don't know how to do this with CentOS. I've also played with my library paths to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Setup

CentOS: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 09:10:25 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

mcrypt: mcrypt-2.6.8-1.el5.x86_64

PHP: php-5.1.6-23.2.el5_3.x86_64

Thanks

Tim

Run php -i and look for the loaded configuration file (probably /etc/php.ini) and also look for any additional PHP ini files that are loaded (possibly in /etc/php.d).

In your main php.ini, you'll want to take note of where the extension_dir is:

php -i | grep php.ini
grep extension_dir /etc/php.ini
cd /usr/lib/php/modules
ls *mcrypt*

That will tell you if mcrypt.so was made and installed.  If not, try again with yum, maybe looking for php-mcrypt.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.