Single query to INSERT with next auto increment

UnfoX

Hi all,

Lets have a table which has to columns. first column (id) has auto increment property. What I want is, when I insert a new row, I want to duplicate the next auto increment value (next id) to the second column (dID). I want to make it with one query.

Table example:

id  -  dID

1    |  1

2    |  2

PS: I don't want to use a method like max(id) + 1.. because the next increment value may not be +1 if a row is deleted in between.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

LAST_INSERT_ID().... and php mysqli library has a function for this too.

Thanks but it's not what I'm looking for. I need next insert id, not the last one :) If you say that next will be last_insert_id() + 1, I think it will not be correct in all cases.

Hi,

Try this, you will get next auto increment id as "Auto_increment".

$query= "SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE TblName";

thanks

There's a reason it's suggested to never depend on data that's not yet there....

What if a separate connection to the database makes a query between the time that this query is run and the subsequent insert being ran?  Then you have a collision :).

I want to make it with one query.

You cannot. The actual auto-increment value that is inserted is not available inside the actual query. It is only available after the INSERT query has executed.

One could try to use the mysql LAST_INSERT_ID() in your single INSERT query to assign the value to a second field, but you will find that it behaves according to the documentation and it does not return the value that was just inserted until the INSERT query has executed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.