[SOLVED] What the hell is this?

Hi, this is not a domain problem (at least it isn't now, I didn't look earlier)

On that initial url that you posted you have 2 seperate problems.

Firstly the database connection isn't working

Secondly the code can't find the function browseitems()

Regarding the database.

Assuming that you have set it up on the new server and have copied the data over from your previous server, you need to check your connection data (username, password and database name)  If the database on your new server was set up by the administrator, it is quite possible that this now has different connection values from your previous one.

Somewhere in your code there is probably a file where these are defined.  You need to locate that file and make any changes.

The second error looks to me to be due to a missing file.

If you check your index.php file in the browser, you will see a different error message reffering to a different missing function mysqlerror() .  I suspect that you have a file where these functions are defined and, either it has not been uploaded to the server or the path to the file is incorrect.

Sorry to no be of more help, without seeing the ftp and all the files it is impossible to be more concise.

Chris

Hi, this is not a domain problem (at least it isn't now, I didn't look earlier)

On that initial url that you posted you have 2 seperate problems.

Firstly the database connection isn't working

Secondly the code can't find the function browseitems()

Regarding the database.

Assuming that you have set it up on the new server and have copied the data over from your previous server, you need to check your connection data (username, password and database name)  If the database on your new server was set up by the administrator, it is quite possible that this now has different connection values from your previous one.

Somewhere in your code there is probably a file where these are defined.  You need to locate that file and make any changes.

The second error looks to me to be due to a missing file.

If you check your index.php file in the browser, you will see a different error message reffering to a different missing function mysqlerror() .  I suspect that you have a file where these functions are defined and, either it has not been uploaded to the server or the path to the file is incorrect.

Sorry to no be of more help, without seeing the ftp and all the files it is impossible to be more concise.

Chris

Hey thanks Chris!

Yeah.. I am thinking this is all a path problem because the new path is /.home/yarpool1/public/html/ and the old path was /.home/vvoyvwd/public/html/

I may even be entering the wrong DB info as i am pretty overwhelmed at this point. If you don't mind checking it out (Nothings working anyhow) i can pm you ftp details...

Much thanks!

OK, you can pm me the ftp details but I will also need to know the database connection details in the new server (username, password and database name)

I can't promise any fast results though, it is 1:30 in the morning where I am and I should really be in bed :)

Chris

Take a look now - is that how it should be?

As I suspected you had a couple of configuration settings wrong in there:

your db username was wrong

the path to the includes file was wrong.

Other than that, and I probably shouldn't say it, but, as I know that you didn't code it I am sure that you won't mind - there is some pretty awful coding in there!

Chris

Take a look now - is that how it should be?

As I suspected you had a couple of configuration settings wrong in there:

your db username was wrong

the path to the includes file was wrong.

Other than that, and I probably shouldn't say it, but, as I know that you didn't code it I am sure that you won't mind - there is some pretty awful coding in there!

Chris

I know your in la la land by now, but thanks for looking into this 4 me. The only problem i am having is my website isn't showing? I am assuming that landing page belongs to my host. My site is a completed auction site similar to eBay. I have no clue why my homepage wont open?

Sorry. If i sound a little dumb here, but hey i'm all muscle and no brains i guess?

All i know is this (get ready for a short story)

I paid this guy from overseas to create several scripts and he did. They all worked fine until him and i got into a little argument. After that he did something that would change the permissions on my public/html and www folders so myself or anyone else for that matter could not access my site (would get a 403 error- Permission denied) My last host fixed this for me twice, but the third time they wanted me to pay them to give me back access. I tried regaining access using ftp client, but it still said permission denied so i was lost with this and could not get any help with it so i decided to go with a more professional host.

Everything was working fine. I created a complete site backup on Sept 4th when the permissions were normal and this is the back up my new host recently downloaded to the cpanel so it should be working. If you fixed the configuration settings/paths i don't see why my site is not active?

Thanks again!

Mike

just logged in to the ftp and everything has changed again and my changes have been lost - not good after I spent an hour working out where it was going wrong and making the changes :(

You don't even have a database anymore - this is seriously bad!

Have you done anything to it?

Let me know what is going on before I spend too much time on this again.

Chris

Hi,

When I left you that message saying that I had fixed things, everything looked OK.

However, when I went back to it today, I got the same message as you.

So, I logged in to the ftp and saw that all my changes had gone.

I checked in cpanel and saw that your database was not there.

I have no idea what has happened.

I am currently downloading your files from the ftp so as to be able to do a search to try and find anything "suspicious" that your nasty developer might have left in the code.

It looks like you are going to have to re-create the database and modify the config.inc.php file again with your connection data.

Chris

Well. I just received an email from my host stating they re-downloaded my back-up. OMG why wouldn't they check that it was working before starting over?

That doesn't explain the 403 error that i keep getting every few days or in this case within 48 hours of changing hosts. 

My database is available here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hkmjhzidyfu

My site backups are temporarily being hosted here as well.

Something has to be up with the 403 error, but how could someone continue to gain access tp my ftp even after changing hostsWithin the files right?

I know u must be pretty pissed after spending your time on this. You know i am very sympathetic to this. Wish i could get my hands on this coder. https://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/DotNet/SoftwareCoders/ShowBioInfo.aspx?lngAuthorId=7261461  He uses different pics, don't know what he looks like.

Anyhow, do you think i will be able to get my site back?

An

Hi,

You get that error becuase basically the code can't find anything.

This code, as I mentioned is a complete mess and doesn't have any proper error reporting.

I have now uploaded your database again (did your server admin also delete this?)

I have modfied the settings file with the new db data (same username and password as before)

There is some strange script called "cron" that is being executed the first time the index.php is being loaded.  Thiis appears to do general maintence on the database and auction items.  I presume that this is "their way" of running a cron job - these are normally exectued by the server at predefined times, it shouldn't be done via the browser.  This script makes the first load of the webpage very slow!

I am now searching all the code to try to find what (if anything) this "developer" has done.

Please instruct your server admin to not do that again!

Chris

Hi,

You get that error becuase basically the code can't find anything.

This code, as I mentioned is a complete mess and doesn't have any proper error reporting.

I have now uploaded your database again (did your server admin also delete this?)

I have modfied the settings file with the new db data (same username and password as before)

There is some strange script called "cron" that is being executed the first time the index.php is being loaded.  Thiis appears to do general maintence on the database and auction items.  I presume that this is "their way" of running a cron job - these are normally exectued by the server at predefined times, it shouldn't be done via the browser.  This script makes the first load of the webpage very slow!

I am now searching all the code to try to find what (if anything) this "developer" has done.

Please instruct your server admin to not do that again!

Chris

Chris, I am on it, contacting host right away!  The cron is most likely for the twitter script which is for another site of mine (twitterwho.net) This is just an auto-follow/auto-post script that was housing future twitter users to follow which of course was suppose to be done by cron job. I don't know if this is the cron your referring to or not?

Also, just received 220 identical emails "Auction Ended-No Winner"

My host said they just corrected the permissions, but i know it will happen again as it always does. It just automatically blocks my access to the public/html and www folders.

I'll be awaiting your investigation.

Hope you see something out of the norm.

Thanks again, Chris.

The cron is what is sending the emails, it is doing varios bits of database checking and sending the emails according to what it finds (I hope it isn't sending them to your clients too :( )

The problem here is that this is not how a cron should be run, a cron should be run by the server at predefined times.

Anyway, this is what was causing the index page to load slowley (a least for me).

I wonder if your server (or previous one) had an automatic script that was resetting the permissions when this cron was being run - it was taking for ever (never finished).  It is quite possible that the server has a built in script that disactivates webs when this kind og thing happens to avoid spam and hackers.

Have you received any emails from your hosting company that mentions anything like this?

Can you confirm that you can now see the web correctly?

Chris

The cron is what is sending the emails, it is doing varios bits of database checking and sending the emails according to what it finds (I hope it isn't sending them to your clients too :( )

The problem here is that this is not how a cron should be run, a cron should be run by the server at predefined times.

Anyway, this is what was causing the index page to load slowley (a least for me).

I wonder if your server (or previous one) had an automatic script that was resetting the permissions when this cron was being run - it was taking for ever (never finished).  It is quite possible that the server has a built in script that disactivates webs when this kind og thing happens to avoid spam and hackers.

Have you received any emails from your hosting company that mentions anything like this?

Can you confirm that you can now see the web correctly?

Chris

Well i receive about 1,000+ emails daily from the cron even though i am not running the twitterwho site that way anymore. I never had any problems with the auction cron sending many emails nor warning of anything bad? Furthermore, the cron was a big mess because it never worked It took my last host 2 weeks and several attempts to get it going and for some reason it worked for ONE DAY ONLY and then never worked again.

I can see the site properly now. For how long is the question. It is sure to block me again.

OK, let me know if you want me to upload the "new" database :)

Still searching for anything suspicious.

I will take a closer look at that "cron" aswell to see what it actually does and why it takes so long.

I suspect that whatever it tries to do takes so long that it never finishes so the next time it has to start again.

Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.