some quick feedback pls

selbekk

Hey there!

The URL is www.sweetwater.no/test/grav2/index.html

It's only a front page design, but valid, got some nice CSS and jQuery touches to it, and looks pretty good in my mind.

Now I have a tendency to fall in love with my own ideas. So are there any of you who wants to give me some constructive criticism on how I can make this page better looking, more user friendly or something at all?

The page is made for a very small electric company, who makes electricity through huge hydro-power generators (read: water-turbines). Their target group are large companies who want to buy and redistribute their power supply, and curious locals. All other visitors are not really that important to them (that's what they told me).

The only thing is maybe some font variety since all one font is a little bland. Also, the whole site may look nicer with a background graphic on the right or a centered layout since it is all shifted on the left and the right side is really empty.

Nice job. :)

hey and thanks for the quick feedback.. 8)  :D

about the fonts, I've always heard you should stick to one or max 2 fonts, and I've done the latter here. Bell Gothic was used for the navigation (fallback to arial if not installed), picture texts and logo, while verdana was picked for the text in general.

I have thought of centering the page, but I like it as it is on the left side. I'll see if I can find an appropriate picture to put on the far right, as I am not sure whether a pattern would be suiting..

Any other thoughts?

Thanks =)

Maybe a gradient from black to white on the right? Not sure how that would look.

I prefer to use 3-4 fonts on my pages, but I suppose you could get away with your two.  ::)

No other thoughts now, I can't critique the content or spelling since I don't know *insert language here* :D

This is not a bad designs, but it needs some work...

Typography needs a bit of work...one font...a good website design uses two fonts maybe three.

The spacing needs a little work too, as there is a huge gap between the top of the page and no space between the footer and the bottom, make these spaces even. This is because light designs require consistent spacing and good alignment. If you are not too sure look up grids for webdesign.

From my view, the page would look better centered.

Take a look at some of the designs here, to help you get a better look at a minimalistic design.

Hope this has helped you in some way.

hey!

thanks for the feedback, I'll try centering it, as well as looking into the spacing issue. How should I use more than two fonts in this layout though? I've already used two different ones (bell gothic std (bold & black) and verdana).

Talking about spacing, what did you mean with the gap between the top of the page and the header? it's a 100px gap, but I guess I can change that over to em-s or something, to make it more dynamic.

Anything else, a rebuttal or anything?

thanks for the link, by the way, that gave me a lot of stuff to process.

As pointed out before, I think the website lacks a little something. Centering it would be a good idea, but also the font could use a little re-working as well. Unlike what other people have said though, I don't think a good design specifically requires the use of 2-3 fonts; however I do think you need to work on the style of the font more. Perhaps a few subtle graphics and varied shades would make the design look a lot better too.

okay, UPDATE time!

I've made mockup pages for the rest of the page as well. I've also made some nice little changes here and there... Now, I am just wondering how the general impression is?

The one page I want you look ignore is "nysgjerrig.html", as it's not styled yet.

Also, please ignore the huge loading time on galleri.html, it's supposed to be automatically generated thumbnails.

http://www.sweetwater.no/test/grav2/

It's definitely coming along, but I think it's still missing a little something .. a mix of colors in my opinion. I'd see if you can squeeze a few more in there, even if it's just a shade of gray, it's better than all black. I think once you've got a bit more variety in there, you've done it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.