Oh Lord

waynew

I have to come up with a project proposal for my final year by Friday; and they've made it known that they're not going to accept something basic. I want to use PHP & MySQL as the main technologies behind the project because I'm more rehearsed in using that duo. I just can't think of something that would be difficult enough, yet feasible enough to achieve within a year. I've come up with a few ideas, but they all end up seeming too easy; even though the idea is sometimes good. If any of you have a soul and wish to proceed onto the afterlife when you die, you'll help me.

Why not something like e-commerce engine with CMS and fully automated server install. Do something like loadable modules that can be installed or removed such as special offers, multi-currency, delivery rates, worldwide tax zones, payment options, etc.

Thanks for replying. I feel as if I could do that and do a pretty good job of it in only a few months. The only thing there that I don't know how to do yet is loadable modules.

I feel as if I could do that and do a pretty good job of it in only a few months

Could you make it using an object oriented approach so the core programming can be extended by any developer without having to modify any of your underlying code?

Also how about adding multiple templates that can be installed, or adding API functionality so that affiliate users can request product data and make sales from their own website using an affiliate ID. This data is recorded and used to payout commission. You could setup XML-RPC server or use REST calls.

I'm sure the documentation that you will need to produce with the application is going to take some time, i.e UML, system flow, etc

Why not attempt a framework. A couple of reasons for doing it...

1. You'll never finish it

2. It will be full of bugs

Perfect for writting a report on. I found the best projects for university/college are ones that you just can't finish, but can explain really well why you didn't finish it.

And if in a years time you have a fully working, lightweight, bug free, user friendly framework you'll be getting a lot of hits.

It needs to be something that can handle a lot of statistics and manage to make sense out of them somehow. I just thought of a small idea that I could build on. A missing persons database - but I could extend that obviously simple idea by making a web app that can carry out more complex evaluations on statistics by noting where (automatic placement on map etc ), when, phys. appearance, age and a whole bunch of other information - and then using all that information to somehow present a whole range of results and answers, so to speak. For example, if three people that are alike in their appearance, age, gender and place of residence went missing during a distinct period of time, this app could automatically point out the fact that this is out of the ordinary - by comparing it with the average rate etc and by comparing victimology. It could also point out where most people were found, or places of interest that should be searched within that location by checking past data. Also - what kind of person is most likely to go missing etc? I know that there's a whole bunch of data here that is well beyond me and can somehow be turned into something that is far more useful than just a website that lists missing people. I could even allow people (bloggers etc) to put a widget on their site that shows a picture of the latest person to go missing in their area. Do you think this is worth following? Or do you have anything that could be added to that idea to make it "The Best" and most useful of its kind? I'm interested in the statistics because even the smallest pieces of data can be represented in a thousand different ways. Any feedback at this point would excellent.

Why not attempt a framework. A couple of reasons for doing it...

1. You'll never finish it

2. It will be full of bugs

Perfect for writting a report on. I found the best projects for university/college are ones that you just can't finish, but can explain really well why you didn't finish it.

And if in a years time you have a fully working, lightweight, bug free, user friendly framework you'll be getting a lot of hits.

I had actually thought of that. I know that it would take a solid year of hard work to make something that is worth using. Sure I could make a framework; but making a framework that could match the popular ones?

Your missing persons is a good idea. You will have to do quite a bit of research into getting the data you need.

That's what I was thinking. I've looked at a few of the top results for missing people and some don't even allow you to search by year - or order by year. If I could somehow take in bulks loads of data about missing people and present that data in the most useful way possible; I'm sure it will score well; esp. seeing as it's a pretty unique idea and seeing as the information that could be gathered is endless - let alone the statistics that could be presented by interpreting that information.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.