Trying to make a personal / company site

tibberous

I need money. I am trying to either get site contracts, or get hired either part time or as a 1099.

I've managed to sell a few jobs, but I need to get a site up for me and a site for my company.

My personal site is coming together pretty quick: trenttompkins.com

Putting it together is really just a matter of cleaning up my past works.

The company site, tristatewebservices.com, is where I'm having trouble. I have no content. I, personally, have worked on a ton of stuff, but the company is brand new. About the only thing I have is a name, logo and color scheme.

Any tips on getting it put together? (design, content, anything?)

Make sure you at least describe what it is you do.  If you don't have anything in your portfolio yet, then put up some samples/demos of what you can do so people can get an idea of your quality.  As for design, you'll obviously want a simple design at first that is easily filled with little content.  As your portfolio and services offered grows, you can change the layout. 

Some things I do (unordered list):

1. Look at others sites (mostly those you really like), to spark an idea

2. Use this free tool: http://kuler.adobe.com/ to get a color scheme that you like

3. Build the site in PhotoShop/Gimp to get the look down, after you get the look down, cut out the pieces and convert the image to a web page

4. Keep a them to the site, for example if the site is about the environment, use greens (grass) and blues (sky)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.